Full face masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Ocean Reef is a jackleg rig that was adapted from a gasmask. It has inherent problems from pressure differentials and can't be compared to the AGA or KM masks. They are junk and Ebay is full of people selling theirs to buy a good FFM.

ForTheFight:
I am interested in getting a full face mask,...
Why?

ForTheFight:
...they look more comfortable and the divers I know who use them seem very happy with them...
These are subjective perceptions and you'll see many divers who seem very happy with all sorts of bizarre rigs.

I'm not intending to dissuade you from getting a FFM at all, but as a solo diver there is a process you may want to consider before doing so. Answering the question "Why?" is a big part of it.

Each time you want to make a radical change to your rig, ask yourself what specific problem you are solving. Then think about the potential problems you're creating for yourself. Quite often you may conclude that you're creating more problems than you're solving.

As a solo diver you already are out on the edge in terms of emergency response. Each crisis is a "come as you are" situation - there is no one else to assist.

As a solo diver it's generally a good idea to keep your rig as simple as possible, generic with respect to onsite repairs, replaceable if you travel and/or lose an item enroute, and universal so that "non-buddies" who may be able to aid you should you be discovered in distress during a dive will know what to do with/how to manipulate your equipment.

FFMs are none of the above.

FFMs are excellent for use under certain circumstances, but solo recreational diving wouldn't be one of them IMHO. One of their big benefits is communications, and in your case there isn't anyone else present to communicate with anyway.

Read what these other users have said again, and really consider whether a FFM would be the safest, most practical, most cost-effective item you could possibly add to your rig?

ForTheFight:
Work gives me access to ScubaPro line for very little.
If you work for Ron and Dori you may be able to borrow one before you purchase. Same may be true for Marty or Ron Pitts. If you're still convinced this is a good thing, I suggest you try before you buy.

FWIW. YMMV.

Best,

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
Why?

These are subjective perceptions and you'll see many divers who seem very happy with all sorts of bizarre rigs.

I'm not intending to dissuade you from getting a FFM at all, but as a solo diver there is a process you may want to consider before doing so. Answering the question "Why?" is a big part of it.

Each time you want to make a radical change to your rig, ask yourself what specific problem you are solving. Then think about the potential problems you're creating for yourself. Quite often you may conclude that you're creating more problems than you're solving.

As a solo diver you already are out on the edge in terms of emergency response. Each crisis is a "come as you are" situation - there is no one else to assist.

As a solo diver it's generally a good idea to keep your rig as simple as possible, generic with respect to onsite repairs, replaceable if you travel and/or lose an item enroute, and universal so that "non-buddies" who may be able to aid you should you be discovered in distress during a dive will know what to do with/how to manipulate your equipment.

FFMs are none of the above.

FFMs are excellent for use under certain circumstances, but solo recreational diving wouldn't be one of them IMHO. One of their big benefits is communications, and in your case there isn't anyone else present to communicate with anyway.

Read what these other users have said again, and really consider whether a FFM would be the safest, most practical, most cost-effective item you could possibly add to your rig?

If you work for Ron and Dori you may be able to borrow one before you purchase. Same may be true for Marty or Ron Pitts. If you're still convinced this is a good thing, I suggest you try before you buy.

FWIW. YMMV.

Best,

Doc

Doc you've got to check the Mantis FFM-It's really terrific at a very affordable price point. I sell them as well as standard masks but the Mantis is my daily dive mask. My observations are:

1. It's as easy to don or doff as a standard mask
2. It doesn't fog as much as a standard mask
3. It never leaks-even when I'm upside down
4. It's very comfortable
5. My face stays warm
6. My sinuses stay dry

The only con with this model is the lack of ambient valve (I just keep it loose at the surface if I don't want to waste gas.)

Again, I sell a wide assortment of masks (with higher margins) so not trying to make this a sales pitch but I think when divers start noticing these rec friendly FFMs the standard mask and stick in your mouth 2nd stage will become obselete. IMHO

I did really like the poseidon atomosphere though. Anyone have any experiences with them?
The Poseidon Atmosphere comes in 2 different widths, the regular & the small, which will fit folks that find the AGA too wide for them.
That's good news for folks that have had to glue split latex hose to the skirt of their AGAs in order to get a good comfy fit. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom