Full face masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EliotD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am interested in getting a full face mask, they look more comfortable and the divers I know who use them seem very happy with them. Anyone have any thoughts on pluses and minuses and which brads to look at? Work gives me access to ScubaPro line for very little.

Scuba Diving Magazine had a terrific article and review regarding FFMs. The site is currently down otherwise I'd send you the link. We're an OTS dealer and think their FFMs can't be beat. The AGA Divator is the industry standard for commercial, military and PSDs. The Mantis is a great rec diver FFM an incredible value. Some of the advantages of an FFM are they eliminate jaw fatigue, most don't fog, fit a wide range of faces, accept communiction systems, eliminate face freeze and more.

Full face masks are great until you have an emergency. Then, it gets "interesting" quick. Usually you'll need to carry a spare mask in a pocket somewhere, and do a lot of practice in a pool.

All the best, James

The Kirby Morgan M-48 is a good choice for technical diving as the lower pod is removeable and allows you to breathe off a stage, deco bottle or buddy's reg. It eliminates the need to carry a backup mask in the event of a reg failure. In my experience most FFM divers do not carry a spare mask and consequently, as James points out, life will get interesting for them in an emergency.

Most PSD divers will vote for an AGA and a few PSD divers will state that if they are suitable for use under PSD/commercial conditions, they are by default excellent for recreational purposes. That is like saying the FN-FAL in my closet is an ideal hunting rifle because it was a great battle rifle used by the armed forces of over 90 countries. I like my FAL and it probably gets shot more than anything else in the rack, but it would not be my first choice in a hunt of a lifetime situation. Similarly, the AGA is a nice FFM, but it may not be the best suited to an recreational diver's individual needs.

The Mantis is very similar to the Scubapro FFM and both are good choices for a recreational diver, although you will want a back up mask with it.

I have never heard much of anything positive about Ocean Reef FFM's, but I don't have any direct experience with them.

The original Cressi style mask is still available for about $75 online. They get the jo done but visibility is limited and they do not have a separate oral nasal cavity and that can result in elevated CO2 levels. On the other hand, you can still use the mouthpiece on your regulator with the mask, so during periods of heavy exertion you can avoid the elevated CO2 issue.

Some potential pros are:

1. Nice to have in very cold water.

2. Allow the use of communications equipment.

3. Won't let you drown if you Oxtox and convulse.

4. They prevent jaw fatigue.

Some potential cons with FFM's are:

1. The strap system can feel a little confining under some conditions.

2. Some designs, AGA's in particular, can be very bouyant requiring an add on weight kit.

3. Some FFM's use dedicated second stages that require specialized service and this can be inconvenient if you do not have an authorized dealer nearby. Other FFM's, Scubapro, Mantis, etc, use your own off the shelf regulator while still others, Kirby-Morgan M-48, etc, are available with a dedicated reg or can be used with your own.

4. As indicated above, most FFM's require a backup mask in the event you need to switch to an alternate gas source.

5. Some FFM's are sold with a positive pressure regulator. These have advantages in some PSD and some surface supplied commerical situations, but for the most part for a recreational diver they noticeably increase gas consumption and offer no advantage at all. AGA's can be purchased in both positive pressure and demand versions and if you get swayed to the AGA route, get the demand version.

I've noticed many of the FFM's have a port for an octo. If you had your octo on a pony bottle wouldn't that give you a completely redundant system and greatly reduce the need for a backup mask as long as your buddy had the same set up.

It does, but it adds another hose as well as more bulk on the mask. I preferred the M-48 approach of a detachable lower pod.

Some masks also have the option for an ambient air valve so that you don't have to breathe off the regulator from the time you put on the mask until you actually submerge. They are a good idea in very cold water and cold weather as breathing off the reg prior to submerging can increase the potential for a frozen first stage and a resulting free flow.

The single most important thing about a FFM is that it fits right.

I tried the Interspiro AGA, Scubapro and K-M M-48. The Scubapro is too wide for my face, I can slide my hand in. No matter how good it may be, for me it would be worthless.

For open circuit I like tha AGA. Perfect fit for my face, very comfortable, good field of vision, very good 2nd stage performance (semi pos pres), doesn't fog, high build quality. But you do need to bring a spare mask for bailout, and have to practise bailout drills. I used one of the small Dacor Bandits, did the trick and fit in the Ranger's roll down pocket.

The M-48 worked well, too. Good fit for me, the Superflow reg breathes well, well build, but less comfortable and smaller field of vision. But I did like the removable pod that allows a bailout reg to be used. Either with a standard bite piece or with a spare pod.

Another option I would like to try is the Dräger Panorama Nova FFM (also sold as Apeks FFM). The style is more like the AGA's, but it does have three ports for 2nd stages and comms. Unlike the Scubapro and Mantis it uses a quick connect system, the Dräger P-port. With matching Apeks (or Dräger, but they suck) 2nd stages they can be released and changed with the touch of a button. Certainly an intresting option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom