Full face masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been looking into FFM also, when I tried the AGA it wasn't comfortable for my own preferences, I did really like the poseidon atomosphere though. Anyone have any experiences with them?

hilti:
I've been looking into FFM also, when I tried the AGA it wasn't comfortable for my own preferences, I did really like the poseidon atomosphere though. Anyone have any experiences with them?

What did you find uncomfortable about the AGA that you found more confortable with the Atmosphere?

The AGA was built out of a harder material than the Atomosphere, not that that's bad, but I have a narrow face and I didn't feel like there was alot of contact area from the seal to my face with it. It doesn't seem to be as pliable as the Atomosphere which, when I tried it, seemed to have more contact around the border of the seal than the AGA and was made from a softer material. Both of them seated fine, and sealed really well, I just felt I would lose the seal easier with the AGA if it were ever dislodged somehow.

The AGA is an amazing product, but not everyone is going to pay $800 for a mask. You might want to check out another OTS product called the Mantis. It's my favorite everyday FFM (disclaimer: we're an OTS dealer-though it's still my personal favorite) fits like a charm, very easy to don and doff and very low price point. I use mine almost everyday so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Also, here is an informative Scuba Diving Magazine report on FFMs: http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/masks_and_snorkels/five_full-face_masks/

Rap

rapidiver:
You might want to check out another OTS product called the Mantis. It's my favorite everyday FFM (disclaimer: we're an OTS dealer-though it's still my personal favorite) fits like a charm, very easy to don and doff and very low price point.

ForTheFight:
Work gives me access to ScubaPro line for very little.
As near as I can tell the Scubapro Full Face Mask and Mantis are made by the same company and except for minor detail/cosmetic changes are basically the same mask.

If you have access to SP equipment at or near cost, the price will be the same for either and you would not run the risk off offending your employer.

I agree that either mask makes an excellent every day FFM.

Personally though I prefer the modular design of the Kirby-Morgan M-48 as it eliminates the need to carry a spare mask to share air, use an alterate second stage or a deco/stage bottle.

Negatives for me:
-IME they cause jaw fatique if you wear a tight 7mm hood. I would have to open my jaw to inhale a breath to which my hood would try to push it close.... try this for a long dive and add a stressful situation... Ill pass.
-upon surfacing you have to undo the face to be able to speak with anyone without shouting
-dry mouth, runny nose, vomit (god forbid), or the worst: itch on face??? Too bad.
-once you put on the mask air consumption begins
-when exerting myself, usually was in the pool when i sweat, in a dry suit (HOOOOTT) and I really needed air the reg would only provide so much. Thats ok if you want to expirience a high stress situation and try to calm down... uh no thanks not in OW where problems multiply. I was practiing for Ice diving procedures and had clausterphobic bouts sometimes. NOT FUN to work through..... MAN THAT SUCKED
-the pos. bouyancy is a bit annoying
-equalizing quickly takes practice (hated having to push the mask into my face). Also these mask have different methods for you to equalize: choose wisely my son.
-expensive
-you broke it?!?! more expensive

Positives. (for me, some people love the mask, i admit its cool)
-looks cool
-uhhhhh cold water wont chill your face.... (not really, on a cold dive I am fine with a normal reg)
-people will wonder why the hell your wearing a FFM on a rec dive. add that to negatives.
-Your not planning to go to Cozumel to use a FFM are you???

lol make up your own mind dude. I hope I helped with all my crying; I just learned to hate these things.

My favorite FFM I tried BTW: AGA
I have a feeling I would actaully enjoy the one Cousteau invented... always see the history channel guys using it. Every feature it has gets rid of everything i hate about the other FFM.

In fact the FFM, IMO, I only see useful when communication is needed or contaminants must be kept away from the diver. Hence PSD and military and commercial diving.

Hey if you have some money to burn... I wont stop you, its cool to try these things

quickly, sorry, I have to complain again... :(
1) wouldnt donning before a cold water dive, add risk to a freeze up? after all, youre breathing it around before entering the water.
2) Say the mask floods on an ice dive, what do you do? well, clear by purging, ok, now your chances are even higher for a freezeup! The cold water can be shocking when your in a warm toasty FFM and then you two have to part suddenly, right?
3)Your FFM freezes up and your at the rec limits ~130ft with say 1000psi and under the ice, hell your in Bonaire whats it matter now. When you push that purge in the mask it gets loud man! <--- in reference to a freeflow, when purged the mask makes loud bubbles.
So, you stay cool, calm, and collective and decide to switch to alternate air: inhale (dangerous), take off mask (hows my bouyancy doing?), grab alternate (wheres my alternate?!?!), find my spare mask (wait was it the left pocket...?), OK clear mask (why is my computer beeping?), breathe...., oh #### i'm at 185ft!!!

Take this freeflow with a normal reg and problems are easier solved: 1) freeflow, crap. dives over. Im going up.

lol ok, Im sorry, Just a terrifying situation for thought. And youre a solo diver... no buddy sipping on a normal reg with an octo waiting to help

I'll counter some of Jakes comments if that's o.k. - Not saying that's not Jake's experience, just that mine is somewhat different.

1. Equalizing - I find equalizing so much easier with my AGA than with a conventional mask that there is no comparison. (I dive both) With the AGA I breath naturally - ie. I breath through my nose. With my sinuses in 'open circuit' instead of vacuum-locked in a mask I typically don't have to manually equalize - it happens automatically (I have 'easy' tubes). My last dive with the AGA I decended from the surface to 70ft without having to raise a hand to my face. With my conventional mask I have to pinch my nose every few feet down.

2. Air consumtion starts as soon as you don mask - Not true any more. Interspiro has a valve now that allows breathing atomospheric air when on the surface. When you are ready do decend you turn the valve off and breath off scuba - all without doffing.

3. Jaw fatigue - most people experience LESS jaw fatigue with the FFM. Don't breath through your mouth. Breath through your nose and enjoy easy equalizing.

4. Anoying boyancy - that one I agree on. I haven't tried adding the weight kit though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom