Full face masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jumbo:
Well, I work at a dive store and one of our customers and a good friend who happens to be very old to be still diving, 75 or so. This guy also happens to buy a lot of toys and other equipment that would not qualify as standard gear. Basically he let me play with it a few times, then told me to hold on to it and service it and such, he has not been diving for a while now, maybe never again. He is getting pretty old to be diving in Washington.

So thats the lowdown on how I came across the Neptune 2

Jumbo
Friends don't let friends dive Ocean Reefs.

mntdiver:
Let's see, where to start... Hydrostatic pressure with the regulator sticking so far out in front. Not a particularly good performing reg anyway, three adjustment just to try to get it to perform. Just reeks of cheap. It is less expensive, but what the heck, it's only life support...

dscheck, I'm sorry, I don't mean to come across as insulting, but if I can ask, how much have you dived it? Do you dive it all the time and what have you compared it to?

I'm not a fan of FFM's in general but I have some experience with them, including the ocean reef.

With the reg front mounted you will absolutely notice a change in breathing resistance as you change position...from a horizontal diving position to say...looking up. the easiest solution is to learn to use the adjustments on the reg to fix that on the fly, although horizontal is the way to dive. LOL

The next solution (if you need one) is to side mount the reg as it is on the AGA, if I remember right. The ocean reef is set up to allow that, as well as the mounting of two regs if that's what trips your trigger. The mask is also set up such that you can use the reg of your choice if you don't care for the ocean reef reg. The 3rd adjustment you mention is a bit different but not too tough to handle from a service stand point. Either way, although the mask can be purchased as a package with the reg you don't have to buy or use use the ocean reef reg or any reg mounted to the front so you haven't really said anything at all about the mask itself.

Some other valid basis of comparing FFM's might be field of view, fit, volume (buoyancy) ect.

I don't agree that FFM regs feel like pulling air through a straw. I've used both positive pressure and on-demand AGAs and these regs are high-quality. Breathing effort is not increased.

The WOB depends on the quality of the second stage and how well it is integrated into the mask. I've used both the AGA with the Interpiro second stage and the Kirby-Morgan Supermask with my Atomic B1 first stage and they both breathed very well.

I haven't had any problems using either mask, the Supermask handles more like a standard half mask.

Three items standing out on the AGA are the quality (of both mask and 2nd stage), comfort and excellent field of vision. Another trait of the AGA and like designs is that the gas flows past the face shield keeping it absolutely fog free.

I made a post yesterday regarding these two FFMs

mntdiver:
Let's see, where to start... Hydrostatic pressure with the regulator sticking so far out in front. Not a particularly good performing reg anyway, three adjustment just to try to get it to perform. Just reeks of cheap. It is less expensive, but what the heck, it's only life support...

dscheck, I'm sorry, I don't mean to come across as insulting, but if I can ask, how much have you dived it? Do you dive it all the time and what have you compared it to?

No need to apologize for your opinion. It is food for thought and thought is good.

I just acquired the mask this summer and have dove it 6 times, twice in a pool for trials and training. I like the FFM so much that I do not intend on returning to a traditional mask and reg. I am so much more comfortable while breathing through my nose that my SAC has decreased dramatically. Must be all the yoga classes.

I have no problem with the reg performance and two adjustment points seem to be standard design in almost all regulators these days. I'm not sure what you consider a third adjustment.

I have been diving since 1987. Just in case your wondering what kind of diving experience I have in general.

Less expensive does not automatically equate to "cheap". I have worked in various manufacturing industries and the name of the game in manufacturing is cost reduction, while customers require continued quality.

I have the service manual and have rebuilt the entire mask. In my opinion, this mask is of quality design and workmanship.

I know I only have experience with the Neptune II and I could have a complete change of opinion if I ever have experience with any of the other FFM's

So there is my basis for my opinions on the Neptune II. I would appreciate a reciprocal amount of information, otherwise your opinion are not based upon any tangible experiences and therefore meritless.

I am also not trying to be insulting, but am in search of information. And heresay is just that to me...

Thanks

FFM's are great if used correctly and are in working order. Stay away from the Ocean Reef Nira they look good but are just not reliable. I bought 4 for my group and 3 failed before the 6th dive. purges got very weak or stopped working, mics went out. leakage on two even with positive pressure. These masks are crap I have recently returned them and am waiting for my aga masks to come in. If you are looking to buy spend the extra money on a proven product.

Just my advise

jtu:
FFM's are great if used correctly and are in working order. Stay away from the Ocean Reef Nira they look good but are just not reliable. I bought 4 for my group and 3 failed before the 6th dive. purges got very weak or stopped working, mics went out. leakage on two even with positive pressure. These masks are crap I have recently returned them and am waiting for my aga masks to come in. If you are looking to buy spend the extra money on a proven product.

Just my advise

JTU, your experience isn't uncommon. Unfortunately, that equipment is somewhat poisoning the water. Someone buys it, has a bad experience and thinks that this is what full face masks are all about. The equipment is shelved and all full face masks are bad, when this isn't the case. Full face masks are excellent tools in the tool box when used properly.

Does anyone have any experience with the JMC Super Mask?

Pro's / Cons / Comments?

Thanks in advance

jcf

jumbo:
Well I was planning on using the port to install some kind of speaker system, and listen to tunes, books on tape, learn a language what ever. I have been diving for golf balls lately which includes looking at the backside of your mask for hours as you see with your hands.

I know a few manufactures have uw MP3 players, but I am not sure how the headphones would work under a dry suit hood. And considering how much of a beating my gear takes while in the ponds I am not sure if the market MP3 players would be sturdy enough.

I am using a ocean reef neptune 2
I hope that you can answer this question... I have just purchased TWO Ocean Reef Full Face Masks w/ Communications and see that you also have an Ocean Reef FFM. Please tell me how you like it.

thanks,

let me check with my rep on the AGA's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom