Full face masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
Somebody somewhere mentioned the use of full face masks for cold water and ice diving. While I don't intend on doing these (yet) it made me curious about how a full face mask works?
I ALREADY did a search and didn't find the answer to my question but directions to other online resources or a straight answer are very much appreciated :D

They cover your whole face and when you breath in the regulator delivers air, I've only dove them in the AQ on hooka, but without some sort of nose clip you have to figure out how to valsalva yourself without squeezing.

Unless it is mission critical that you be able to vocally communicate, stay away from full face masks due to the PITA factor.

One example: some of the charter boats along the east coast send down a DM to tie into wrecks, and the DM wears a FFM to be able to tell the captain when the anchor is secured. They splash their paying divers faster that way. In some cases FFM work well. FFM are also common in search and rescue work and in many commercial applications.

OTOH, for recreational divers gas sharing is often more complicated, gas switches (and hence responding to 'issues') can be more complicated, if your mask is kicked and floods it can be more of a PITA, and your primary gas source/equipment is incompatible with 99% of the buddies you'll be meeting.

With respect to ice diving, standard equipment isn't uncomfortable at all with a decent hood. If you're really bothered by it or have a sensitive face, several companies make an ice hood that is worn beneath your regular hood, and has the added benefit of making you look like a dominatrix in some BDSM film. ( :D )

Like most other things FFM have pros and cons; but for recreational diving in general the cons outweigh the pros - unless you have some specific reason why you need to be able to talk to either the surface or another diver.

JMHO. YMMV.

A full face mask works simply by sealing around the face with a single seal. The second stage regulator is integrated into the front of the mask. Most allow you to breathe through your nose as well as your mouth. A nose block or similar device is installed in the mask to allow you to valsalva. Some have a nose pocket to allow you to pinch your nose as well. Most will also allow for the installation of communications equipment.

It's always interesting to see the responses to questions like this. More often a lack of experience with a piece of equipment brings out lots of opinions. I often hear how dangerous full face masks are. More people have been saved by full face masks than have ever been hurt by one. Public safety divers use full face masks for several reasons. Safety being the top. This encompasses full encapsulation from contaminated water, maintaining a breathable environment in front of the diver's face in case of unconsciousness and of course the application of underwater communications. A good quality full face mask is very difficult to flood. They're held in place with a five point strapping system, more secure than any mask you'll wear otherwise.

As with any piece of advanced equipment, there is the need to properly train. Basic scuba diving is a prime example. Don't learn how to do it and you're dangerous. 95% of all diving that's done can be safely done with a full face mask. As far as being a PITA, if you have improper training in using or choosing a quality full face mask, I guess they can be. However, with the proper choice of equipment and education on how to use it, a full face mask can be an excellent tool in the toolbox. There is some junk out there, beware and talk to someone with experience before you consider one.

Full face masks are a pain the first few times you use them, but being able to communicate directly with your buddy and the surface can is pretty nice once you get used to the mask. This makes them great for dives where you've got surface support. I believe the most common full face mask is the Interspiro Divator II aka the AGA Mask---it is pretty easy to use once you've been trained and have done it a few times. The whole set-up is also pretty spendy---

As Doc mentioned, they generally aren't used for technical / deeper diving situations where you need to switch gasses underwater.

It sure would be nice if there was an easy solution to underwater communication....

My two cents-

Unless you think you NEED a FFM, I would stay away from them. The coolness factor wears out in about 5 minuets.
Compared to a high quality reg. System the FFM feels like pulling air through stray. I have noticed that I also use more air when I have my FFM on.

But this brings me to my second point, has anyone ever used the comm port on a FFM to install a portable radio system. I think that would pass the time

I don't want one for anything. I just didn't understand how they worked.

jumbo:
My two cents-

Unless you think you NEED a FFM, I would stay away from them. The coolness factor wears out in about 5 minuets.
Compared to a high quality reg. System the FFM feels like pulling air through stray. I have noticed that I also use more air when I have my FFM on.

But this brings me to my second point, has anyone ever used the comm port on a FFM to install a portable radio system. I think that would pass the time

What kind of FFM do you have? And to your second point, are you talking about communications in the comm port (a novel idea) or listening to tunes?

Well I was planning on using the port to install some kind of speaker system, and listen to tunes, books on tape, learn a language what ever. I have been diving for golf balls lately which includes looking at the backside of your mask for hours as you see with your hands.

I know a few manufactures have uw MP3 players, but I am not sure how the headphones would work under a dry suit hood. And considering how much of a beating my gear takes while in the ponds I am not sure if the market MP3 players would be sturdy enough.

I am using a ocean reef neptune 2

Back
Top Bottom