Full face masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Kirby Moran KMB 10 Band Masks, EXO-26 masks and AGAS and even an old General Aquadyne mask, all with wireless OTS com and have used hardwired com. I originally got them for public safety diving for the reasons mentioned by mntdiver. If you need them for com or to keep dirty water out of the mouth, they are necessary. As far as recreational diving goes, I try to dive in clean water and even when wearing a mask with com in it I normally never talk to anyone as I do not dive for the purpose of conversing with folks. I just like the sound of my regulator. If I had to pick I a favorite I would go with the regulator, but I will always keep a FFM for those occasions when some work needs to be done in conditions I normally would not want to dive in. And I darn sure would Ebay an Ocean Reef mask and buy an Interspiro AGA or a Kirby Morgan FFM. Ocean Reef masks are a problem waiting to happen. I cannot tell much of a difference diving in icy water between a regulator and a FFM. After a few minutes you are so numb it quits hurting and you just enjoy the dive.

jumbo:
Well I was planning on using the port to install some kind of speaker system, and listen to tunes, books on tape, learn a language what ever. I have been diving for golf balls lately which includes looking at the backside of your mask for hours as you see with your hands.

I know a few manufactures have uw MP3 players, but I am not sure how the headphones would work under a dry suit hood. And considering how much of a beating my gear takes while in the ponds I am not sure if the market MP3 players would be sturdy enough.

I am using a ocean reef neptune 2

Jumbo,

I hate to say this, but, there's the reason why you've had a bad experience with full face masks. You can't compare that to other full face masks on the market. The standard of the industry is, for the most part, the Interspiro Divator MKII (the AGA mask) and for good reason.

As for listening to tunes or other things, you don't need a full face mask. Oceanic has an underwater MP3 player. I've never used one, can't say how well they work. I dive with comms on all my dives. If I'm diving solo, I'm at least in touch with the boat. If I'm diving with others, it's nice to be able to ask the basics, "where are you?", "how's your air?" or "have a look at this". I also put the communications directly to my video. No more silent movies.

How would the uw headphones work under a hood? Any one ever used one?

And I agree about the Neptune 2 mask, I absolutly hate it, but I got a really good deal on it.

jumbo

I was the one who mentioned the FFM before...a recent Scuba Diving mag did the comparison between FFM's. Found out my buddy can get the the Inspiro Divator for less than half...which is why I even entertained the thought anyway

I would like to hear some more about why the Ocean Reef Neptune II has this bad reputation. I have the Neptune II and love it, never had a problem, fits great, feels great, performs wonderful.

dscheck:
I would like to hear some more about why the Ocean Reef Neptune II has this bad reputation. I have the Neptune II and love it, never had a problem, fits great, feels great, performs wonderful.

Let's see, where to start... Hydrostatic pressure with the regulator sticking so far out in front. Not a particularly good performing reg anyway, three adjustment just to try to get it to perform. Just reeks of cheap. It is less expensive, but what the heck, it's only life support...

dscheck, I'm sorry, I don't mean to come across as insulting, but if I can ask, how much have you dived it? Do you dive it all the time and what have you compared it to?

jumbo:
How would the uw headphones work under a hood? Any one ever used one?

And I agree about the Neptune 2 mask, I absolutly hate it, but I got a really good deal on it.

jumbo

Then how good was the deal? :D

Well, I work at a dive store and one of our customers and a good friend who happens to be very old to be still diving, 75 or so. This guy also happens to buy a lot of toys and other equipment that would not qualify as standard gear. Basically he let me play with it a few times, then told me to hold on to it and service it and such, he has not been diving for a while now, maybe never again. He is getting pretty old to be diving in Washington.

So thats the lowdown on how I came across the Neptune 2

Jumbo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom