Full Disclosure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, a Jersey Upline is a Yankee thing...specifically a Jersey thing that wreck divers in New Jersey came up with. It's basically a piece of safety gear. It looks like a long thin reel with handles at both ends. Most divers make their own. They wind biodegradable line onto the reel (sisal I think) and tie a lift bag to the end of the line. It is traditionally attached to the back of their doubles, out of the way, with thin pieces of inner tube so it can easily be removed.

It is used as an emergency anchor line if needed. Put a little air into the lift bag and hold onto the handles as the bag surfaces, then follow the line up as deco stops are completed. Once the diver surfaces s/he cuts the line and let's it drop to the bottom, folds up the lift bag and swims back to the boat.

Here's a commercially manufactured one:
Manta Jersey Up-Line JUL with reviews at scuba.com

What's up with the "ya'll" thing? Are you from the south? I know that's not a common phrase in NY. My ex-wife was from Long Island and she wouldn't dare utter a ya'll in public...probably not even under torture, although I'd like to find out for sure about that. :D

Thank you, K-valve for clarifying the Jersey upline yankee thing to this NYer. I'm have to look into one before I do my first NJ wreck next season.

Dunno, I've always used "y'all" or as you say "ya'll', maybe I've got a little southern in but mom just never told dad :shocked2:.

Yes. I woke up early this morning. Noticed the XM radio Hair Nation thing and now I can't go back to sleep. #$%$@#$%^ Hair Nation! Now I am useless.

been with sirius for 3 years love hairnation but lost buzzsaw with the merge- its replacement (boneyard) will take a while to get use to

Yea. I know what you mean. I lost Squizz.

So..... does being born in Texas make you more of a Texan than someone that wasn't born in Texas? Even if you were'nt raised here?? I was born in Texas, but raised in Missouri, have been back in Texas for 3 years now. Does this make me more Texan than Kunk35??

I need to know.:D

I might have to take away his dimwit shirt....

Rhonda

So..... does being born in Texas make you more of a Texan than someone that wasn't born in Texas?

Yes, it does. It's ranked like this:

1. Born here, never left the state. Died here.
2. Born here, left for a short duration to say, kick some butt in a football game or rodeo but got back before they knew you were gone. Died here.
3. Born here, left for a longer duration for service in the nations armed forces. Brought your highly decorated butt back as soon as the country was safe again. Died here.
4. Born here, moved away but not by your own choosing. Maybe you were a child and had stupid parents. Moved back as soon as you were old enough. Died here.
5. Born here, moved away and stayed away. :shakehead:
6. Born in some furrin' land, either moved here as a youngun' because you had smart parents or as soon as you were old enough to make the decision for yourself. Died here.
7. Born in some furrin' land, moved here for a time until the job played out, then packed your carpetbag and headed on down the road. Don't care where you died. Won't be sending flowers. :mooner:

Please note that #1 DOES allow for a quick trips across the Rio Grande to sample the local night life as long as any amorous encounters are appropriately commemorated with a tattoo and you bring back some good tequila and a large bottle of vanilla. This is allowed in the interest of cultural exchange. Please note that it is entirely possible and sometimes appropriate to swap #2 and #3. Especially if the person in #2 lost.

Bogrady....

Somehow, DIMWINY just doesn't have the same ring to it...

And except for a trip to Coz once in a while and a few other states for vacation purposes, I'm in group number 2.

Howdy, ya'll.

I don't want to upset anybody here, so please don't let me do that; but --

shouldn't y'all be spelled as y ' all as opposed to ya ' ll ??
as in " you all" abbreviated y'all ?? Just askin'
with "you all" to be interpreted as "all of you" ??

I don't want to upset anybody here, so please don't let me do that; but --

shouldn't y'all be spelled as y ' all as opposed to ya ' ll ??
as in " you all" abbreviated y'all ?? Just askin'
with "you all" to be interpreted as "all of you" ??

Oh! Dont be picky, please! If you do then the tranplants might start saying 'youse guys' :no:

Ha!:kiss2:

My true favorite is 'All y'all' :wink:

My true favorite is 'All y'all' :wink:

I use that one myself. :cool2:

Yes, it does. It's ranked like this:

1. Born here, never left the state. Died here.
2. Born here, left for a short duration to say, kick some butt in a football game or rodeo but got back before they knew you were gone. Died here.
3. Born here, left for a longer duration for service in the nations armed forces. Brought your highly decorated butt back as soon as the country was safe again. Died here.
4. Born here, moved away but not by your own choosing. Maybe you were a child and had stupid parents. Moved back as soon as you were old enough. Died here.
5. Born here, moved away and stayed away. :shakehead:
6. Born in some furrin' land, either moved here as a youngun' because you had smart parents or as soon as you were old enough to make the decision for yourself. Died here.
7. Born in some furrin' land, moved here for a time until the job played out, then packed your carpetbag and headed on down the road. Don't care where you died. Won't be sending flowers. :mooner:

Please note that #1 DOES allow for a quick trips across the Rio Grande to sample the local night life as long as any amorous encounters are appropriately commemorated with a tattoo and you bring back some good tequila and a large bottle of vanilla. This is allowed in the interest of cultural exchange. Please note that it is entirely possible and sometimes appropriate to swap #2 and #3. Especially if the person in #2 lost.

You forgot the old "Texan by injection" for those marrying in........

Back
Top Bottom