Full Disclosure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am game.....now just to get a few of my Swamper buddies to climb aboard. As a very young lad I actually lived in Syracuse NY..

I'm aboard - I'm targeting sometime in March/April to do Lake George and Long Island Sound again. And the NC wreck dives sound promising. Not sure I'm ready for Jersey wreck diving yet ... sounds way too serious.

I was born here but I joined the DiveNY group a couple of months back. They had this thread about what is the worst beer but only included opinions and anecdotes. I felt I just had to help them out with some hard facts. ScubaSamantha and TwistedDarts let me in the pool to play. Turns out TwistedDarts has family down here and now has a permanent invitation to go diving whenever he's in the area.

So Bogrady, don't feel bad about sleeping around on the Swampers. And it took a lot of guts to admit you FROM up there! :D

One of my Jersey (we spell it right and pronounce it wrong up North ...) wreck diver buddies is promising to show me how to make a real Jersey upline. I'll be practicing with it out in wreck alley (aka - the Old Travis Scuba Park) as soon as I can get it made. I don't want to look like a rank amateur when I take ScubaSamantha up on the offer to dive the wrecks in NJ/NC.

I figure all I need to do is add a little lasso to the end of it and it should work just fine ... :D

Y'all can call me Sam when y'all come to dive NJ/NC wrecks with Dive NY. Btw, there seems to an awful lot of east coast transplants here in Texas...what's up with that?

:popcorn:

Sam, I will still take you up on the offer to go diving -- just 'coz (notice the spelling there Cozumel) we are all divers and we are all in the Union and all. The Union is important to me. Cozumel is important to me too.

Beyond that . . . . . . . . . . :popcorn:

Let's go diving ! ! ! :)

:popcorn:

Sam, I will still take you up on the offer to go diving -- just 'coz (notice the spelling there Cozumel) we are all divers and we are all in the Union and all. The Union is important to me. Cozumel is important to me too.

Beyond that . . . . . . . . . . :popcorn:

Let's go diving ! ! ! :)

A big YES to everything in your post.

This Texan girl asks, 'What's an upline??' Is that a yankee dive thing??

Okay, I'm from Longview, by raising, Savannah, Georgia by living.
Bogrady, as long as you wear your ropers when you're on the board or in NY, I guess it's okay. Oh, and you're dimwit t. Of course. The NY group is pretty cool. I've thought about asking to join, but didn't think they'd let me play, since I've only been to the state 4 times in my life. Had a blast each time though.

Thank you! I was wondering the same thing.

Yes. I woke up early this morning. Noticed the XM radio Hair Nation thing and now I can't go back to sleep. #$%$@#$%^ Hair Nation! Now I am useless.

Upline being a yankee dive thing :confused:

Of course. The NY group is pretty cool. I've thought about asking to join, but didn't think they'd let me play, since I've only been to the state 4 times in my life.

Of course we'll let ya play, c'mon in.

Thank you! I was wondering the same thing.

Yes. I woke up early this morning. Noticed the XM radio Hair Nation thing and now I can't go back to sleep. #$%$@#$%^ Hair Nation! Now I am useless.

You are not useless you are posting on SB. Good morning, All.

Upline being a yankee dive thing :confused:
Yes, a Jersey Upline is a Yankee thing...specifically a Jersey thing that wreck divers in New Jersey came up with. It's basically a piece of safety gear. It looks like a long thin reel with handles at both ends. Most divers make their own. They wind biodegradable line onto the reel (sisal I think) and tie a lift bag to the end of the line. It is traditionally attached to the back of their doubles, out of the way, with thin pieces of inner tube so it can easily be removed.

It is used as an emergency anchor line if needed. Put a little air into the lift bag and hold onto the handles as the bag surfaces, then follow the line up as deco stops are completed. Once the diver surfaces s/he cuts the line and let's it drop to the bottom, folds up the lift bag and swims back to the boat.

Here's a commercially manufactured one:
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-247/130458/Manta-Jersey-Up-Line.html

Y'all can call me Sam when y'all come to dive NJ/NC wrecks with Dive NY. Btw, there seems to an awful lot of east coast transplants here in Texas...what's up with that?

What's up with the "ya'll" thing? Are you from the south? I know that's not a common phrase in NY. My ex-wife was from Long Island and she wouldn't dare utter a ya'll in public...probably not even under torture, although I'd like to find out for sure about that. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom