Ft.Pierce vacation return.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100days-a-year

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Just returned from vacation in Ft. Pierce.We were down from August 1 til now Sept.7.Managed about 70 dives from 15' to 90' or so.The temps early on got as cool as 52 on the bottom,warmed up to 75 and then cooled back to 68 yesterday.Found quite a few lobster,mostly #3-#5,a lot of slipper lobster and a few grouper.Dove one barge that had 10-15 large Jewfish on it,the largest arond #4-500 .The vis was oatmeal at first but topped at 50' just before the swell from Fabian silted up a little.Diving was good aside from the thermocline.We wanted to check out something different after years of Keys diving.We'll probly go back to the Keys next year.Vero top the north & St Lucie to the south are a little nicer areas and there are a lot of really nice places to eat or play.Saw the UDT/Seal museum,Harbor Branch and couple of small museums wth the nautical history of the area.Nice trip.

I moved to Fort Pierce in May of this year and it sounds like you hit most of the great spots. Since you did not say that you found any treasure I assume that there is still lots of the 1715 Spanish gold out there for me to find! I of course pretend to be looking at the rock ledges and the many tropicals and game fish in this area when diving with the wife but I always keep my eye open for that Glimmer in the sand:D There is some great diving just south of here in Jupiter that maintains a better vis when Fort Pierce and Vero become the oatmeal you mentioned. If you (or anyone else) makes it to the TREASURE coast and are looking for a buddy or Buddies please drop a line as I am always game to make bubbles..

The diving there could have been better,but we had fun.I wanted to do some deeper stuff and more of the wrecks but my crew was limited in experience with heavy current.Got home to find out the BTs here in the lo 60s.Who would think you'd have to wear a hood diving in Florida in August and September?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom