Trip Report Grand Turk - February 6-10, 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edoralive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
TLDR:

Great diving, great people, amazing wall, expensive island.

Booking:

We booked through PADI, and it turned out to be a great decision. This was a short notice trip and we were having trouble finding accommodations. PADI showed up as having one room left with the hotel and dive operator and we booked it.

Unfortunately, Blue Water Divers suffered some sort of fire right before our arrival, which necessitated finding a new shop. Thankfully, PADI alerted us to the problem and even sent our info on to Grand Turk Diving Co., which was slightly more affordable than Blue Water.

The rebooking is what made it a great decision. I’m sure we could have figured it out, but it was nice to be directed to a backup plan.

Booking through PADI is easy as pie, too. I’ll do it again if I can’t figure it myself.

Getting there:

Grand Turk is not Provo. Lots of planes fly to Provo, and you’ll need to jump onto a regional carrier to get you the rest of the way. I know it’s obvious, but I didn’t realize we were on a different island, and had to panic but two tickets to GT. The planes board like a free-for-all, so if you don’t want a windowless seat like the one I had, get in line quick.

Cabs on GT are expensive for the length of trip: $7 from the airport to the hotel per person, about a five minute ride. We only took three cabs while we were there, so it wasn’t too bad. We walked most everywhere, and felt quite welcome and safe.

Lodging:

We stayed at the Osprey Beach Hotel as part of the PADI deal. The hotel is cute, small, and directly on the beach. We had a first floor room, and it was ten paces from the door to the sand. The hotel isn’t a Waldorf or anything, but we were quite happy with the accommodations and their proximity to the dive shop, just across the alley from the hotel itself.

The hotel has a restaurant on site and it was fine. A little cheaper than some of the other spots on the island. Breakfast ran around $10. Dinner around $20-25 each. Few vegetarian options and fewer (as in none) vegan options.

Food on the island is expensive, and our room had only a fridge making the problem more challenging to solve. The cheapest dinner was $60. The most expensive was $160. Bohio offered the best food, but was a hike. There are a couple grocery stores on the island. There are also rapid COVID tests available both in hotel with planning, and via a 15 minute walk.

We did not rent a car and so walked most places or called a taxi. Folks in down were quite friendly and helpful. The cruise ship days meant the town was loaded with tourists.

Surface Life

There's not much to do except relax on Grand Turk, and perhaps chase down some expensive meals. There is a lighthouse to see, if that's your thing, and I think you can ride horses in the ocean or something, but our surface intervals were spent napping and lounging beachside. My wife, who is not a diver, was happy to relax. If adventure is your thing, it's tough to find topside. We did spot two groups of whales on two different days from our patio. That was pretty cool.

Dive shop:

Due to the aforementioned fire, we ended up with Grand Turk Diving Co, which is about as close to the hotel as a shop could be.

A couple things I liked:
  • The boat crews were great. All three dudes I met were outstanding. Super friendly, patient, and had some great stories to tell (particularly Smitty).
  • The location is about as convenient as it could possibly be. The beach is immediately adjacent to the hotel. The dive shop is immediately across the alley. Easy peasy.
  • They run a tab for you and you settle when you’re done with the week.
  • The dogs are friendly.
A couple things I didn’t like:
  • Prior to leaving on the trip, the owner said the temp was 68 degrees. That’s drysuit temps and caused a bit of consternation. The temp was actually 78, as confirmed by other dive shops and then by the DMs on site.
  • I was hoping yo get on afternoon dives, but was told they weren’t going out all three days we were there (they went out two of the days; I missed them both). Communication in general was challenging.
  • The valet service is uncomfortable to me. I don’t really love having other folks handle my gear, and indeed my tank slipped from my BC on my second dive, which was a first.
Diving:

I’ve heard Grand Turk is a top 5 global destination and I’ve also heard it’s just so-so. It was pretty outstanding. Temp low was 77. The ride to the sites was anywhere from 5-10 minutes and the wall is spectacular.

The reef seems to be hurting a bit and it wasn’t particularly fishy, but the views were stunning. Sharks on every dive, more turtles than I’ve seen outside of the Benwood in Key Largo, and a pod of dolphins on our very last dive, along with a moment with four turtles munching together on some grass. Depths ranged from 25-105, with most hikes along the wall around 50', but ultimately the wall plummets to 7,000’ so there’s a lot to see. Beyond seeing, you could also hear both whale and dolphin song on several of the dives, though the whales remained elusive.

The boats are something like a valet service. You give the crew your gear and they set it up on the boat. When you’re ready to dive, you put your fins on and they pass you your BC. When you surface, you remove your BC and pass it up before climbing the ladder while the crew swaps tanks. I was able to set my gear up in the AM, which I was thankful for.

Conclusion:

Grand Turk is lovely. I don’t know if we’ll visit again, simply because it’s such a hike from Minneapolis, but the island is a lovely low-key, laid-back place to spend some time in the water. English is the primary language, although you’ll hear Spanish and a Haitian Creole, and the USD is the currency. Those things make it an attractive getaway for slubs like me who have few global skills. We we to return, I think I’d check out another dive shop.

Thanks for the report. Publishing the trip report on what appears to be the same day you left gets bonus points.

Just for comparison, the 7 minute cab ride from our local airport to downtown is $25 here. :) I'm sure the view during your ride was better than ours.

Thanks for the practical trip report. Sounds like the price of food ought to factored into trip planning, as it adds up. It's not unusual that a lot of the food has to come in by container to Caribbean islands, so it can be expensive (though Cozumel is a notable exception).

I'm used to reading mention of Bohio Dive Resort where Grand Turk is concerned (and positive reviews), so it's interesting to see an alternative. @Hoag has stayed there (he discussed) and so has @Uber Dave (his summary). In 2018 @diversmith had a much more mixed report. Robertcrockett in 2018 stayed at an AirBnB and used Grand Turk Diving. My point is, small as Grand Turk is, apparently people have choices.

While Grand Turk is small, it's a cruise ship port, so the reputation for a sleepy topside got me wondering what the options are. Here's Trip Advisor's Things To Do section for Grand Turk.

I'm jealous of the dolphin pod encounter!

One issue that keeps knocking Grand Turk off my to-do list is the combo. of reportedly sleepy topside without a lot of structured excursions + concerns I might not get many afternoon dives. Bohio Dive Resort does offer an afternoon dive option. I'd want at least 3 dives/day most days.

Dinner around $20-25 each.

The cheapest dinner was $60. The most expensive was $160.
Do those prices include soft drinks or alcohol, and soft drinks, I'm guessing no free refills?

I was wondering $160 included taxi there?

And thanks for reminding me @drrich2 : the whale and dolphin songs underwater would be very cool. Best thing I've heard underwater was volcano in the Solomon Is.

And thanks for reminding me @drrich2 : the whale and dolphin songs underwater would be very cool. Best thing I've heard underwater was volcano in the Solomon Is.
That is part of why we scheduled our trip to South Caicos for mid-late March, so we would have a chance to still have whales in the area to hear and possibly see. I am not looking forward to the cooler water temps, as our preferred trips are to the Caymans in August or September when we can usually count on 85-86 degree water and dive in shorts and a rash guard top. And yes, I know, I am a WWW...warm water wuss.

Nothing wrong with preferring warm water diving. The first dive in such places is always, wow, it's amazing how warm the water. Favorite part is coming up from the night dive and seeing all the stars and just relaxing at the surface to take it all in. Before you have to go back to the world...

The local water temp here is 53 degrees which I describe as swimming around in your ice chest. I'm not complaining because I can see some cool stuff but it's more like a job when I have to wear 85 lbs of gear to dive and your suit wants to collapse you into a ball. Not worth a dry suit for the number of times I dive it.

Thanks for the report. Publishing the trip report on what appears to be the same day you left gets bonus points.

Just for comparison, the 7 minute cab ride from our local airport to downtown is $25 here. :) I'm sure the view during your ride was better than ours.

My wife makes fun of me for trip reports. I love reading them and find them SUPER HELPFUL for planning!

I'm jealous of the dolphin pod encounter!

One issue that keeps knocking Grand Turk off my to-do list is the combo. of reportedly sleepy topside without a lot of structured excursions + concerns I might not get many afternoon dives. Bohio Dive Resort does offer an afternoon dive option. I'd want at least 3 dives/day most days.

Do those prices include soft drinks or alcohol, and soft drinks, I'm guessing no free refills?
The dolphins were amazing - they weren't interested in us, and we just happened to catch them on their way by, about three minutes before we got out of the water. Wild how much happenstance plays into this sport.

Agree with you on the number of dives. I like to go big on the dive count when I visit a place - the Keys was 4-5 dives a day, Jupiter was 4-5. To only get two was... very different. In the end I didn't feel like I had nothing to do; napping and reading and walking around the island was fine, but the approach is less is more, even though there are lots of people to dive. We had two boats going out most days - 10 divers split between little skiffs. We also had two cruise ships docked on two of the days there, so they were mixed in, as well.

The menu for our $160 meal is below. No alcohol! Not sure about refills. I doubt it - everything seemed to come in containers - soda in cans, water in bottles.

Nope! Just the dinner. This was at Bohio.

What I remember we had for the $160 meal:
  • Veggie spring rolls (x2)
  • Strawberry mango smoothie
  • Ginger beer
  • Power bowl (a vegetarian grain bowl)
  • Shrimp alfredo
  • Rum cake
  • Pan-baked cookie and ice cream
No alcohol! The cab would be on top of that - the first time we went we walked both ways from Osprey to Bohio, a 3 mile round trip; the second time we cabbed one way and walked back to the hotel.

Nothing wrong with preferring warm water diving. The first dive in such places is always, wow, it's amazing how warm the water. Favorite part is coming up from the night dive and seeing all the stars and just relaxing at the surface to take it all in. Before you have to go back to the world...

The local water temp here is 53 degrees which I describe as swimming around in your ice chest. I'm not complaining because I can see some cool stuff but it's more like a job when I have to wear 85 lbs of gear to dive and your suit wants to collapse you into a ball. Not worth a dry suit for the number of times I dive it.
Agree so much. Two days after we returned from Grand Turk I started my ice diving class. 1 degree air temp, 40 degrees below the ice. Dry suits are amazing, but they're not a lot of fun to swim around in.

Wow, Caribbean Ocean to ice diving within a couple days.

Trip reports where we hear the reality of places from people who went there are one of the primary reasons I joined scubaboard. Each report is taken as a one datapoint mixed in with the rest of the info we get. While individual reports can call out specific problems I am looking at the trend.

Wow, Caribbean Ocean to ice diving within a couple days.

Trip reports where we hear the reality of places from people who went there are one of the primary reasons I joined scubaboard. Each report is taken as a one datapoint mixed in with the rest of the info we get. While individual reports can call out specific problems I am looking at the trend.
Rock on. I appreciate them for the same reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom