Grand Turk Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertcrockett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
IMG_20180810_185040_416.jpg GOPR0858_2.JPG
IMG_20180809_111613.jpg IMG_20180810_104355-EFFECTS.jpg
Thought I'd post a little trip report from Grand Turk before I forget "like I'm known to do".
We spent 7 days on the island and one in Provo due to a missed connection.( If anyone gets trapped in Provo and needs a place to hole up for the evening "the Lodgings" is a nice, clean and well appointed little hotel right by the airport. Prices are cheap compared to elsewhere in Provo.)
We did 15 dives with Grand Turk Diving, 14 different sites and one repeat on a night dive. As luck would have it we mostly had the boat to ourselves except for one day when there were four others. I'm pleased to report that there seemed to be no noticeable hurricane damage to the reef, which was in good health. And any efforts made to clean up afterwards were successful, as I did not see a single piece of trash throughout all of our bottom time. Dives were over nice coral beds leading to the wall and gradually circling back around. Grand Turk Diving has a Dive Master in the water with you but we were able to dive our own profile. Visibly was very nice out to 100ft, vodka clear at 40-50ft. Water temp in the 80s... We wore nothing but board shorts and rash guards at depths down to 115 ft and we were comfortable, even on the night dive. Sea life was abundant... With all the usual Caribbean life as well as plenty of turtles and we spent about 10 minutes up close and personal with a large octopus on one of the day dives. We pack in our own gear but the shop gear seemed adequate and maintained well. The dive boats are smaller and require a James Bond entry... Exit is by removing BC at the ladder and passing it up, which makes boarding much easier. Bottom times averaged to an hour+. The DM/instructors "Jason and Smitty" were spot on and excellent human beings... We greatly enjoyed their company and diving with them!. The island itself is still in somewhat of a recovery phase from the hurricanes... Lots of construction happening and refitting the island is well underway. The beaches are deserted, the water is beautiful... Grand Turk is a true slice of paradise. We logged a lot of surface time at the Salt Raker having drinks with Erica and Ruby or lounging around the Osprey restaurant. We used Airbnb to rent one of the "brown" houses a few skips from the dive shop and we were completely pleased with the accommodations... We also rented a golf cart from Omar and that was our best decision yet. We explored the island from end to end when we weren't diving and it was a joy. If you want the "resort" feel then Provo is probably more up your alley but for genuine people, dogs, donkeys, beautiful beaches and diving in a relaxed, non-starched or stuffy locale... Grand Turk is a great place to end up. I can't stress enough how nice and welcoming this island and it's people are....any questions, feel free to ask!

Glad to see your report, and for more reason than just commenting on the island and diving post-hurricanes of 2017.

I don't see many trip reports about Grand Turk, and when I do see it discussed, it's usually based at Bohio Dive Resort. Historically I'd read positive things about them, though DiverSmith's Aug. 2018 'Trip Report - Grand Turk, Bohio Resort,' issues were raised.

But you stayed at an AirBnB, and dove with Grand Turk Diving (these guys?). So your experience was of a different sort than some I've read about. It might be nice if you could post photos of the exterior & interior of the home you stayed at, what furnishings it had (e.g.: well-equipped kitchen?) and general comfort.

Richard.

Yup.. That's the outfit I dove with...Blue Water also gets a lot of high remarks and is probably about 2 minutes walk further down the street. I don't have any personal experience with them though.. As for pictures of the Airbnb I'll post some up but I really don't have any of the exterior.
Screenshot_20180722-113759~01.pngScreenshot_20180722-113741~01.png Screenshot_20180722-113724~01.png Screenshot_20180722-113705~01.png Screenshot_20180722-113619~01.png
The pictures are pretty spot on and don't show the additional 2 bedrooms or other bathroom. It's a little lived in and that was fine for us... Extremely homey, comfortable and close to the dive shop. The caretaker of the home is a phone call away and can pick you up/deliver you to... the airport in his pickup truck. Its not luxury resort diving to be sure but it was nice and adequate and I wouldn't hesitate doing it again. In fact we met another diver who registely rents the place when she comes from Canada several times a year. She said the only reason she stayed anywhere else is because we beat her to the punch.

Sounds like you had a great time! Also sounds like you had better overall vis than we did in the middle of June when we stayed at Bohio. I think we would have preferred your BnB accomodations also...lol. And that size boat is great when you are the only two on board! haha! It seems like that is the preferred style boat on Grand Turk.

If you don't mind divulging, what did that place run per night? Anything included besides a place to stay? i.e. bike, boards etc.

Sounds like you had a great time! Also sounds like you had better overall vis than we did in the middle of June when we stayed at Bohio. I think we would have preferred your BnB accomodations also...lol. And that size boat is great when you are the only two on board! haha! It seems like that is the preferred style boat on Grand Turk.

If you don't mind divulging, what did that place run per night? Anything included besides a place to stay? i.e. bike, boards etc.
If I remember correctly it was around 170.00... There are a couple bikes included with the property and a nice covered porch and outdoor grill as well. For a little more you can stay right on Front Street at the Osprey or some of the condos that are beach side. I liked my stay at this particular Airbnb but in the future I would probably consider those I mentioned above...sheerly due to the fact it would be literally next door to the dive shop and the Salt Raker Bar.

I'm a diver but will just be snorkeling with the kids while at Grand Turk for one of our cruise stops. Were there many sites accessible from the beach? How far of shore was the Wall there? Any recommendations for a beach snorkel would be appreciated. thx

There are no sites safely accessible from a shore-snorkel within reasonable distance of the cruise ship. You most certainly need to set up a tour with one of the local operators. I recommend blue water divers but all places are good. I'd says stay away from the ship excursion options as you'll end up on a boat with 40 people. Can't stress enough how bad of an idea it is to swim out to the wall with kids unless you have a buoy and knowledge of local boat traffic and currents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom