Frustration...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik Il Rosso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After studying the matter for a while I decided to move from a traditional BCD to a BP/W and also started using an "Hogarthian" set up using a long hose...

I am what is commonly known as a "Rec Diver", not interested in going deeper than 40 metres but I am also someone who wants to obtain maximum performance while in the water...

You can't even imagine what has happened from day 1 of my new set up...

1) People telling me the I will end up stangled underwater by my long hose...
2) People telling me that one day or another my power inflator (Halcyon) will stop working correctly...
3) Now that my Pioneer is punctuated everybody is telling me that it was sure right from the beginning that I would have had such problems...

Believe me, it seems like I have got serious disease when all I wanted from my new gear is a better way to stay underwater and not to look like a "Tek Diver" as people are telling me...

I try to explain that I choose such configuration "Cum Grano Salis", as the latins used to say, but it looks like I am a black sheep...

I am already sad for my new wing being punctuated after only ten dives and these people are only making things worse...

By the way, the first ten dives with the new rig were absolutely fantastic...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Those that criticize the most are those who understand the least . . .
Turn a deaf ear.

I'm saddened that you punctured your wing, that's a booger.

The probability of you puncturing your wing versus puncturing a conventional B/C is exactly the same, unless you dive the two rigs in differing environments.

Just for my own edification, why would your diving associates thing you would be more likely to puncture a wing than you would a conventional B/C?

the Kraken

The Kraken:
Just for my own edification, why would your diving associates thing you would be more likely to puncture a wing than you would a conventional B/C?

Because I ended up selecting a Halcyon Piooner 36 Lbs which is not covered with Cordura 1000 or similar...

Ok, it is a single layer bladder but being 100 per 100 sure that it would end up being punctuated is pure madness, or at least this what it seems to me...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Just requires a little more TLC, that's all.
Like everything else in the universe, your wing or B/C is in balance with other forces.
What one gains in one area, one loses it in another.

And that's the way it is . . .

the Kraken

Erik Il Rosso:
1) People telling me the I will end up stangled underwater by my long hose...

You won't. Guys love to tease with that one, though. After awhile they'll leave you alone.

Erik Il Rosso:
2) People telling me that one day or another my power inflator (Halcyon) will stop working correctly...

It might. Not a big deal... just a hassle. Fix it when and if it starts leaking... or just get a standard inflator... they're cheap.

Erik Il Rosso:
3) Now that my Pioneer is punctuated everybody is telling me that it was sure right from the beginning that I would have had such problems...

It is possible that it was punctured during shipping. Staples? If it's a small hole you can easily fix it.

Erik Il Rosso:
Because I ended up selecting a Halcyon Piooner 36 Lbs which is not covered with Cordura 1000 or similar...

Ok, it is a single layer bladder but being 100 per 100 sure that it would end up being punctuated is pure madness, or at least this what it seems to me...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

A lot of standard BCs are single layer. For example, Oceanic's top of the line Chute is a single layer.

A single layer is not necessarily easier to puncture than an inner bladder/outer shell design.

What drives me crazy is the fact that as soon as you change your rig and start diving with something which is not officially recognised by SSI, PADI, CMAS, SNSI or whatever you are doing something wrong...

I do not bother them, why they keep on bothering me ???

Just because they a majorance it does not mean that they are 100 per 100 right...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

I stopped worrying about what other folks think. Your gear config is not as common as other but is slowly gaining popularity. One of these days you may be considered a pioneer by your peers
Sorry to hear about the wing, I read your other post and it sounded like you were happy with your new gear-Stay that way, you made some good decisions
If the damage isn't too bad try some Aqua seal and a patch.

Michael Schlink:
I stopped worrying about what other folks think. Your gear config is not as common as other but is slowly gaining popularity. One of these days you may be considered a pioneer by your peers
Sorry to hear about the wing, I read your other post and it sounded like you were happy with your new gear-Stay that way, you made some good decisions
If the damage isn't too bad try some Aqua seal and a patch.

I agree whole-heartedly.

Five years ago I was the first at my shop to start diving a hog rig. The first time I set up my rig my buddies' started in on me hard... the same lines you've all heard, "What the heck's up with that hose? Don't trip... yuk... yuk! Man, that plate must hurt your back. Going to 300 feet today?"

Well... five years later and they all are just now putting their rigs together. Guess who they come to for advice. :D

I empathize. I have heard the, "You're going to strangle yourself on that hose," and recently, "If I catch you wrapping a seven foot hose around your neck, I'll throttle you with it." My LDS owner keeps at me that I have become a "tech diver" because of the long hose. My husband thinks it's stupid.

You just have to decide what you want to do and turn a deaf ear to the critics. That, and polish your skills until they have nothing to criticize!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom