Frugal Florida Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on who is workinig till/cash

I get pissy when a shop wants to charge more for an air fill if >99cf+

Yeah, no sense letting the good folks at the Local Dive Shop make a living. Same people that throw you a free O rings or do a quick reg adjustment at no charge to show appreciation for good customers. Recreation diving is an expensive sport that lures in a lot of cheapskates.

Yeah, no sense letting the good folks at the Local Dive Shop make a living. Same people that throw you a free O rings or do a quick reg adjustment at no charge to show appreciation for good customers. Recreation diving is an expensive sport that lures in a lot of cheapskates.

Lolz...for real?
I can name the shops that do this and they don't do the complimentary stuff you say. It's called nickle & diming a customer.
The shops that don't have the bs charge are the ones that are helpful.
I wouldn't let any shop touch my regs, btw.
Dive on bruh

Just because a business is SUPPOSED to be charging sales tax on something doesn't mean that they are.

I have had customers threaten to report me to the Department of Revenue for collecting sales tax on transactions. Many in my industry don't collect sales tax, even though in most cases they should be.
I don't think they're required to collect tax from customers. They are required to pay the tax after selling something. Collecting it from the customer is just a convenient way to pass on the cost. I guess one benefit of passing it directly is that it makes accounting easier. You wouldn't want to pay tax on the tax, right? That's my understanding.. I might be completely wrong.

I don't think they're required to collect tax from customers. They are required to pay the tax after selling something. Collecting it from the customer is just a convenient way to pass on the cost. I guess one benefit of passing it directly is that it makes accounting easier. You wouldn't want to pay tax on the tax, right? That's my understanding.. I might be completely wrong.

You should find someone that had had the the State of Florida camp out in their place of business for a field audit. Let's just say it's not pretty and it's always expensive.

I feel sorry for you having to pay 7%. Here in the UK we pay a measly 20% VAT on both goods and services. Anything imported from outside the EU incurs a 'duty' (anything from 2 to 40%).

The price advertised includes both 'duty' and Tax. If the customer doesn't pay it the business does.

Old saying, and many tax departments will tell resellers to remember it:
"We don't charge sales tax, we're just required to collect it."

Any disputes should be taken to the appropriate tax department, and they will have stern words for any reseller who is incorrectly collecting sales tax. In the wrong amount, on the wrong transaction, too much or too little.

And there even have been (trivial but successful) class action lawsuits about incorrect sales taxes from vendors.

In some states, the sales tax can be included in the purchase price. That's done mainly at ski area cafeterias, since skiers aren't real fond of carrying around pocket change.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom