Frugal Florida Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK; I'll pay the tax but at least give the full 3000psi...

OK; I'll pay the tax but at least give the full 3000psi...

Jeez, you're a cheap date.........Some of us are a little more PSI/CuFt greedy

Its not like its a 100% profit. Theres compressor maintenance, filter replacement or the materials to repack them, theres electricity, Captain Clerk filling your tank dont work for free and then there is liability insurance the shop has to have. Uncle Sam gotta get a piece of the pie. How about this; the shop buys filters, compressor oil, filter media, fittings and adaptors to put it all together right. When the shop buys these things, they pay sales tax on the goods they buy. Then they use it to put together a service like filling your tank where Uncle Sam charges you sales tax again. So the shop passes the first tax along to you in their airfill price and then you pay more tax on the final sale of your airfill. Uncle Sam's hand goes deeper in your pocket than you think.....

If the state does not tax services, then it shouldn't matter whether the shop has expenses that are incidental to providing the service. Does a lawyer collect sales tax on copier paper and phone charges?

So how big is an 82 cubic foot balloon, LMAO !!! :)[/QUOTE]

While I’m still waiting to actually use the algebra that I supposedly learned many moons ago, here's the geometric equation that will help you figure out the answer.

V = 4/3 π r3

Should read “Volume equals four thirds of pi multiplied by the radius cubed.”

I’ve spent enough time with a pencil dealing with this, so will let you work out the proof, or as Miss Shields used to say, “show your work.” (A reference to Jean Shepherd’s “Wanda Hickey’s Night of Golden Memories and Other Disasters”, “In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash”, and the movie “A Christmas Story.” If you don’t know about Miss Shields in particular, try and recall any of your strident grade school teachers.)

In any case, here’s the bottom line. Your balloon, assuming that it is spherical, will have a diameter of just under 5 1/2 feet, and a circumference of about 17 feet. You’re gonna need a bigger boat, and a rather impressive weight belt to dive that sucker.

If you can’t find a spherical balloon to suit your needs, then you might rummage around in the warehouse where they keep the balloons that have been retired from service in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC. I’d love to see someone diving while attached to Snoopy’s enormous head as it slowly deflates, but would not buddy up with them.

I don't remember ever being charged sales tax for fills--in Florida or anywhere else.

Jean Shepherd’s “Wanda Hickey’s Night of Golden Memories and Other Disasters”.

I am the blind date! One of my favorite books! You can listen to many of his radio show and many of his stories on YouTube

And for those that were wondering...

Florida Sales Tax Rules
12A-1.020 Licensed Practitioners; Drugs, Medical Products and Supplies.
(4) MEDICAL GASES.

(a) Compressed medical gases and medical oxygen in compliance with the provisions of Rule 61N-1.007, F.A.C., are exempt.

(b) The charge for filling or refilling tanks containing compressed air or nitrox to be used for scuba diving is subject to tax.

Last edited:
I don't remember ever being charged sales tax for fills--in Florida or anywhere else.

You may not recall John but you are being charged tax by law in FL. Now they may be including the tax in the total price to keep it a round number, but tax is being collected.

You may not recall John but you are being charged tax by law in FL. Now they may be including the tax in the total price to keep it a round number, but tax is being collected.
That is evidently true from the previous post.

And for those that were wondering...

Florida Sales Tax Rules
12A-1.020 Licensed Practitioners; Drugs, Medical Products and Supplies.
(4) MEDICAL GASES.

(a) Compressed medical gases and medical oxygen in compliance with the provisions of Rule 61N-1.007, F.A.C., are exempt.

(b) The charge for filling or refilling tanks containing compressed air or nitrox to be used for scuba diving is subject to tax.
Hah.. well there ya go. Can't get any more specific than that.

Just because a business is SUPPOSED to be charging sales tax on something doesn't mean that they are.

I have had customers threaten to report me to the Department of Revenue for collecting sales tax on transactions. Many in my industry don't collect sales tax, even though in most cases they should be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom