Free Tax Help for Scubaboarder Members!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a good think that Jax isn't an accountant... IJS..... :outtahere:

They have already featured one of Jax's threads. Now it is Denise's turn in the limelight.

Last edited:
I don't have any tax questions since I probably didn't earn enough to pay any. Wonder if Denise will also answer "income" questions... like how do I get some (other than having to work).

Wonder if Denise will also answer "income" questions... like how do I get some (other than having to work).

+1 :D

Cuz I need to fund the diving thingy!!

Hey Denise,

Can I write off the expenses for a scientific experiment? I'm going to blow up a scuba tank in a car (probably the wife's car) to see what happens. Is the tank cost and fill deductible?

Okay, I do have a serious question.

I live in Florida but work in Alabama. I also have a business in Florida. I pay Alabama state income tax out of my paycheck and have to file taxes. Does Alabama get to count my business income when calculating my state income tax obligation? Why do I even have to pay Alabama state income tax if I don't live there or use any of the services? Sure I use the roads to get to work, but I also get gas in Alabama, which includes taxation for road maintenance.

Okay, I do have a serious question.

I live in Florida but work in Alabama. I also have a business in Florida. I pay Alabama state income tax out of my paycheck and have to file taxes. Does Alabama get to count my business income when calculating my state income tax obligation? Why do I even have to pay Alabama state income tax if I don't live there or use any of the services? Sure I use the roads to get to work, but I also get gas in Alabama, which includes taxation for road maintenance.

you don't have to count your Florida Business in Alabama on your state return. (but you do on your Federal Return).

Just like you don't have to count your Florida bank account 1099-INT (interest) or Brokerage income for accounts you have based in Florida on your Alabama State return.

you only have to count/pay w-2 or 1099 from your Alabama employer on your Alabama state return.

That's what I thought, but last year when we did our taxes, my wife was the only one working in Alabama. We didn't include her Florida income, but Alabama returned a modified return with less of a return in taxes. The letter of explanation stated something to the extent of the Florida income having to be accounted for.

Hey Denise,

Can I write off the expenses for a scientific experiment? I'm going to blow up a scuba tank in a car (probably the wife's car) to see what happens. Is the tank cost and fill deductible?

You'll probably have to claim the life insurance money if your wife is in the car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom