Framed or Frameless Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have the VX1 mask and have thoughts to share?
I use a VX1 and it’s ok but it’s slightly leaky on the nose not too sure why, I have to pull it very low or my nose pushes on it, maybe my nose is a bit too long for it?

I am looking for a replacement, I tried the paragon in a shop and although it’s a perfect fit, not sure I want to spend that much on a mask.

I’ll try the Hollis M1, Xdeep frameless and Atomic frameless this weekend.

There was a thread which reported that a lot of VX1 end up ripping on the side after a few hundred dives.

Edit: found the thread

For those with fuzz on your face [like me] this mask is very good, like the Hollis M1 [my main or back up mask, does not matter ] it took a lot of cleaning, once done right it is a good mask.
XDeep is worth a look for facial hair IMHO.
Why is it particularly good for facial hair?

Why is it particularly good for facial hair?
The best seal under the nose [broken nose and face fuzz] for me, the M1 also good.
Others like the SP Solo leak a little, just enough to piss you off.

I'm gonna try the Hollis M1 next. The field of view looks nice and broad.

The Atomic Frameless and Scubapro Frameless are very low volume single lens masks and both have been copied to Hades. Both are expensive so the copies offer 85% of the quality at 40% of the cost. The lack of a frame reduces bulk, increases comfort, lends to a very wide FOV and they are just very sleek. Frameless all the way.
These two masks are my go-to. The Scubapro has been my favorite for many years. Very low profile/volume, light weight, and fits great. Looks good too.

I just recently added the Atomic Frameless as a backup and it is quickly becoming my favorite. Wide view, & very comfy. The silicone is extremely soft and makes for a great seal. The HD glass is nice but I can't really tell much difference. This mask stands out to me in its overall quality.

Ultimately it's what mask fits you best but for me, these two are the top choices. And they are both frameless.

Also, no issues with fogging or facial hair in my experience on either. It's all about how you prep the mask and your mustache/beard, imo.

The Promate Frameless - Scubapro clone is a great deal for anyone looking for an inexpensive good option. $30 vs $150+
As mentioned by Nemrod, it is about 85% of the quality for a fraction of the cost.

I'm gonna try the Hollis M1 next.
Just make sure you clean it very well, takes a bit of effort but worth it.
Gear-Aid-Sea-Buff-Dive-Mask-and-Slate-Cleaner-Drops.jpg

Just make sure you clean it very well, takes a bit of effort but worth it.View attachment 752897
I'm still a little confused on something. I haven't taken this mask in the water and probably won't be able to until about January. I cleaned it a few times with a pH neutral dish soap. Immediately after rinsing it, while things are still damp, I do a breath fog test and the fog disappears immediately. But if I leave the mask to completely dry, and I try the breath test again, it fogs up. Seems like the breath test right after rinsing is basically simulating what I would be doing pre-dive with a defog rinse. I guess what I'm saying is it SEEMS like it's good to go but honestly I didn't put a whole lot of effort into it.

I didn't put a whole lot of effort into it.
This is "the kicker", more effort.
4 or 5 times and I do a good wash with dish soap before the above is used, do not burn it or use toothpaste, with the old rubber masks it worked well, not the new ones, you will hear " this what I have done forever" ad nauseam, just don't do it.

This is "the kicker", more effort.
4 or 5 times and I do a good wash with dish soap before the above is used, do not burn it or use toothpaste, with the old rubber masks it worked well, not the new ones, you will hear " this what I have done forever" ad nauseam, just don't do it.

When I bought the VX1, people at dive shop said the same and I listened, fogged like there is no tomorrow at the first dive. Then I did my classic 5 cycles of toothpaste rubbing. Works like charm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom