Framed or Frameless Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking at some new masks, specifically the Venom, VX1 and the M1, and I see there are frameless versions for many masks. Can someone tell me in simple terms why a person would choose a framed masked vs a frameless mask? I have only had framed masks. I assume an advantage of a frameless is that it's easier to stow as a backup? What about if it's your primary mask, is there an advantage then?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

The Atomic Frameless and Scubapro Frameless are very low volume single lens masks and both have been copied to Hades. Both are expensive so the copies offer 85% of the quality at 40% of the cost. The lack of a frame reduces bulk, increases comfort, lends to a very wide FOV and they are just very sleek. Frameless all the way.

Used SP frameless for years, now use the D mask because the frame makes changing lenses easy to do at home, SP has a wide range of lenses available that you can buy directly from them, very low volume great strap, probably the best ask I’ve owned.

The Atomic Frameless and Scubapro Frameless are very low volume single lens masks and both have been copied to Hades. Both are expensive so the copies offer 85% of the quality at 40% of the cost. The lack of a frame reduces bulk, increases comfort, lends to a very wide FOV and they are just very sleek. Frameless all the way.
Saw some reviews online about the Atomic having fogging issues. Do you think this is just do to inadequate film removal?

Saw some reviews online about the Atomic having fogging issues. Do you think this is just do to inadequate film removal?
All masks can fog if they are not clean. Oil, sunscreen, etc. Just run your (new or old) mask through the dishwasher once. Ready to go. Use a toothbrush to clean your mask before diving, never a finger that just transfers oils.

All masks can fog if they are not clean. Oil, sunscreen, etc. Just run your (new or old) mask through the dishwasher once. Ready to go. Use a toothbrush to clean your mask before diving, never a finger that just transfers oils.
I believe you but it seems like something as hot and harsh as a dishwasher might damage the skirt?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom