Framed or Frameless Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw some reviews online about the Atomic having fogging issues. Do you think this is just do to inadequate film removal?

Yes. I think frameless mask do require a stringent cleaning. I had more problems with the Scubapro than the Atomic. I know, I know but regardless I burn them with a lighter and follow up with hot water and Dawn dish detergent. And neither mask fogs. I have prescription lenses in mine now. I will say, some of the copies are really nice but for the expense of a prescription I would prefer the real thing to a copy thereof.

James

I have a pretty big head and the M1 looks like a fairly wide mask, which is probably a good thing. Would you agree that it suitable for a bigger head/face?

I have a pretty big head and the M1 looks like a fairly wide mask, which is probably a good thing. Would you agree that it suitable for a bigger head/face?
I have the SP Frameless (for over 20 years same mask), none of the copy cats will last this long and their skirt won't stay as soft as the SP Frameless. The SP Frameless comes in "wide" version too. The standard version is wide and the "wide" version is even wider. I recently got the Atomic venom Frameless and the Atomic Frameless but I haven't used them yet. Two of my former students took the Atomic masks from me to dive with in open water after trying them in the pool and loving them. I hope they hate them so I'd get them back. You can't go wrong with any of them.

P.s. I have been diving with the SP D mask the last few months and it is awesome and very low volume. I have the wide skirt version and getting bifocal lenses for it.

I believe you but it seems like something as hot and harsh as a dishwasher might damage the skirt?
No, the dishwasher is totally fine. Don't use an electric dry cycle if you have that, but the dishwasher is just fine for mask.

No, the dishwasher is totally fine. Don't use an electric dry cycle if you have that, but the dishwasher is just fine for mask.
Do you still do the toothpaste thing after?

I have the SP Frameless (for over 20 years same mask), none of the copy cats will last this long and their skirt won't stay as soft as the SP Frameless. The SP Frameless comes in "wide" version too. The standard version is wide and the "wide" version is even wider. I recently got the Atomic venom Frameless and the Atomic Frameless but I haven't used them yet. Two of my former students took the Atomic masks from me to dive with in open water after trying them in the pool and loving them. I hope they hate them so I'd get them back. You can't go wrong with any of them.

P.s. I have been diving with the SP D mask the last few months and it is awesome and very low volume. I have the wide skirt version and getting bifocal lenses for it.
I have been diving a copy of the SP frameless sold by Trident for 20 years. Seals first time, everytime.

I got a SP frameless as a backup. Only time i used it was when i forgot my knockoff mask at home. I found it much harder to clear as the nose pocket rubber was thicker and stiffer. Very weird.

I bought a few more of the Trident masks in case they discontinue them.

I recently switched to the xdeep frameless mask. Very very happy with it. And very affordable too!

The Dive Gear Express frameless has been a great mask for me. When I got it last year it was $35. Should have bought four of them. Would make great gifts for diving friends/family. They've since gone up to $45 but a great deal at that price still considering others that look identical out and are $100+ Looks the same as the XS Scuba, Dive Rite, and XDeep mask. I'm guessing just sourced from the same OEM and sold cheaper.

ETA: The DGX mask also does a great job of sealing even with a mustache. I tend to dive a Sherwood Oracle+ for the gauge reader inserts. However, with the Sherwood I need to either apply some lanolin to my mustache right under my nose or trim it down a schooch under my nose to get a proper seal. Otherwise I spend the dive constantly clearing a flooded mask. The DGX, however, seals just fine by itself. I'm going to see if I can use my vision plan to cover having inserts added to it as I much prefer it. The Trident inserts are good but the adhesive is crap and hazes up and ultimately come loose diving in the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom