Suggestion Forum for Plus-Size Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
N

newdiver-toronto

I've encountered a lot of hostility and misunderstanding on this board and I think there should be a place where plus-size divers can discuss their concerns without having to deal with the fat phobia that's on the rest of the board. Thank you.

Al Mialkovsky:
Lots of BS for you guys to put up with, I appreciate your efforts :)
I don't know why anyone would want to be a Mod, for all they put up with and do. Well, a couple of them enjoy thumping me, but the vast majority are them are doing so much for so little.

Thanks to almost all of y'all. :D

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, questions like that have been asked many times on ScubaBoard ... and invariably the requestor has received information that was both informative and polite.

Check out some of these threads for examples ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=103734&highlight=XXXL

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=106931&highlight=XXXL

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=107892&highlight=XXXL

I think most of our members really would rather be helpful than to worry about someone else's weight ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There has been a lot of derogatory remarks on this board about overweight people, not aimed at anyone in particular but as someone said *if the cap fits wear it*

Standards on this board sometimes get a little wobbly EG I put a cartoon on the board, a camel laying down in a airport parking lot, caption *How to tell if there is a terrorist in the airport* within seconds I get a PM from a mod telling me its racist discrimination and against TOS ( and he is going to have me thrown of the board. What is the difference between that and calling overweight people fat slobs?.

Since the entire world has practically declared war on obesity, I would think that unkind remarks will only increase because of media exposure. Since obesity is now officially a "bad" thing, how is this thing going to play? People haven't exactly treated smokers with kindness and now obesity is being lumped into the same category of undersirable. No doubt there will be a certain number of people wishing to "educate" others about the dangers of obesity. It's bound to get prickly.

Al Mialkovsky:
Every comedian tells fat jokes. Try that about any other group.
Let's see -- drunk jokes, Irish jokes, Jewish jokes, Hispanic jokes. Want to go for public derision of smokers, in cases truly ridiculous (ever get near a campfire, have someone vetch about cigarette smoke -- who's kidding who?)? Nahh, no other group is subjected to anything bad on a regular basis.

Edit: This is not directed at the original poster, just a statement that virtually any group that may be identified by something externally observable, or with self-opt-in, has been the butt of jokes. It's part of life, good, bad, or indifferent. My old sig was "Learn to laugh at yourself -- why let everyone else have all the fun!"

I don't know what to think of this. Technically, a "plus size divers" forum would address issues like "what kind of BC should I buy?" which do in fact come up and would in fact be useful.

I think as we've seen here, though, that it'd probably just be an engine for flame wars and consume moderator time.

Ethnic jokes are told by those of the same nationality usually. Fat jokes are told by skinny people.

Getting silly here. If you haven't lived the life you haven't got a clue.

Al Mialkovsky:
Bob with all due respect you aren't a woman. You certainly can't speak for an obese woman anymore than I can. When a woman sees comments about fat people spilling over into their space I'll wager you she feels insulted. She certainly feels uncomfortable.

After my gastric bypass surgery I moderated a support group at the hospital for obese people who wanted to discuss the surgery and other options. Granted I wasn't obese my entire life as it hit me after 40 but the stories some of these women shared would break your heart.

I was obese from about the time I was 11 or 12 through to a few years ago, so call it about 20 years, including jr. high school and high school. I think I've had more than my fair share of trauma. I'm not sure why, just because I'm not female I'm in a different category. And I know there's this myth that guys aren't sensitive at all about their body image, but that isn't actually true.

I have been there.

markfm:
Let's see -- drunk jokes, Irish jokes, Jewish jokes, Hispanic jokes. Want to go for public derision of smokers, in cases truly ridiculous (ever get near a campfire, have someone vetch about cigarette smoke -- who's kidding who?)? Nahh, no other group is subjected to anything bad on a regular basis.

Edit: This is not directed at the original poster, just a statement that virtually any group that may be identified by something externally observable, or with self-opt-in, has been the butt of jokes. It's part of life, good, bad, or indifferent. My old sig was "Learn to laugh at yourself -- why let everyone else have all the fun!"

Still doesn't make it right...

markfm:

You think its ok to make jokes..me to I like jokes.....but its against TOS to pick a certain group out for abuse. So if you can not insult the Irish why should you be able to insult Fat people

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom