Suggestion Forum for Plus-Size Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
N

newdiver-toronto

I've encountered a lot of hostility and misunderstanding on this board and I think there should be a place where plus-size divers can discuss their concerns without having to deal with the fat phobia that's on the rest of the board. Thank you.

As far as I'm concerned, you can gain 200lbs, and I'd still love to hang out, and dive with you! We'd just roll you down to the shore line :05:

We are planning another trip to FL this year, and I hope to hit LBTS again with you ladies! Maybe we can even get you out on a boat!

RonFrank:
As far as I'm concerned, you can gain 200lbs, and I'd still love to hang out, and dive with you! We'd just roll you down to the shore line :05:

We are planning another trip to FL this year, and I hope to hit LBTS again with you ladies! Maybe we can even get you out on a boat!

Now THAT is exactly what I was talking about (living life on the Board like we're on the dive boat and all the 'back and forth' that goes on there)...lol...how about a well-off, bald, white, male divers forum! Everyone welcome!!!!!!!

i welcome diving with larger divers. they draw more attention from sharks.

I'm 5' 7" weigh 165#, Dive warm fresh water with a diveskin, AL80 and 4# of lead. Acording to all the charts I am concidered over weight. I think we all have gone overboard with the obeise issue. I know people that are skin and bones, to look at them some would consider them healthy but this is not the case. Others that are large and concidered over weight are some of the healthiest people that I know. A friend of mine is 5' 8" and weighs 220# most people would consider him unhealthy. I don't think so because he is 90 y/o and as active as any other adult I know, has a sharp quick mind and is fun to be around. I think that each person should determine what is right for themselves and seak that goal and to hay with what society thinks.

As a woman who is "Festively Plump", I haven't seen any hostility towards those of generous proportions. Yes, getting gear that is comfortable can be an issue... but so can getting CLOTHES that fit well. Ask on the appropriate forum and you will get lots of helpful advice. I have found LOTS of helpful & friendly divers here. If someone is disrespectful or downright mean, report them and let the MODs handle the issue. One small minded or mean spirited person shouldn't taint your experience on SB. Just ignore them.

Personally, I am happier now than I was when I was 100 lbs. I would rather be fat & happy than skinny & miserable any day. It is how you feel about yourself that matters and my weight does not define who I am. If it does to someone else.. that is their problem and ultimately, their loss.

Edited to add:

Oh yeah.. one more thing.. people who are overly sensative have created this over zealous politically correct world we now live in. Personally, I think people just need to step back and not take everything so personally. If I am talking about you, I will mention your name and I will do it to your face. Otherwise, I am speaking in general terms. If you take it personally, that is not MY fault.

Ok I am done now.. I will let someone else have the :soapbox:

Snip:
Scuba_Jenny:
Most folks who dive are fat.
I don't think so.
That's a very general statement that doesn't hold h2o
Perhaps it's true if you narrow it down to a certain category of divers but as a whole, divers don't fit any one mold.

gratefuljames:
Now THAT is exactly what I was talking about (living life on the Board like we're on the dive boat and all the 'back and forth' that goes on there)...lol...how about a well-off, bald, white, male divers forum! Everyone welcome!!!!!!!

WANTED: one well-off bald, white male diver. Willing to shave heads of eligible candidates with hair.

Al Mialkovsky:
Every comedian tells fat jokes. Try that about any other group.
Anorexia , and that too is getting a lot of hype lately. Everybody is a target these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom