Suggestion Forum for Plus-Size Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
N

newdiver-toronto

I've encountered a lot of hostility and misunderstanding on this board and I think there should be a place where plus-size divers can discuss their concerns without having to deal with the fat phobia that's on the rest of the board. Thank you.

Fish_Whisperer:
I think such questions could easily and openly be asked in the Basic forum, with the current set of rules that this board already has.

I don't know. Within the last couple of days I've read threads about, ScubaBoard Mermaid contest (that even had an age limit! OUCH) and a new enthusiastic dive shop employee with a great bod but an okay face.

IMO, obesity is the one area that society allows people to still be descriminated against.

Perhaps this member is looking for a forum where she can post something in which other divers can relate to and feel safe doing it. Heck, what is one more forum!?!

Ann Marie:
IMO, obesity is the one area that society allows people to still be descriminated against.
Every comedian tells fat jokes. Try that about any other group.

If we can't have a clean and sober forum, why is it ok to have a food addict (is that politically correct?) forum? Maybe we should have an "addicted divers" forum, which then basically everyone could just join in...except those in denial...lol...

Al Mialkovsky:
Every comedian tells fat jokes. Try that about any other group.

And they're funny because the vast majority of people at some time in their lives struggle with their weight. You should try pregnancy, Al, and see what that does to your body. Your body goes into must store fat mode.

It takes about 2 years to lose the weight and then it happens again!

Life ain't fair...

Rhonda,

While it may be helpful for many people to have a forum for plus-size divers, I think the reason that the moderators/owner limits the number of forums is so that it is easier to manage this site.

I say to hell with it, post your questions! It is very possible that someone is wanting to ask that question but doesn't have the courage to. And heck, it just might help some people to get past looking at the body instead of looking at the person!

While it may seem that we're kind to obese people here on another thread someone complained about fat people sitting next to them on airplanes. She saw that thread too. That's only one reason she asked for something more private.

Those posts weren't moderated and aren't even being considered for moderation I'll venture.

It's ok to poke fun at fat people and it isn't only because we were all once fat, it's just our nature to be cruel at times.

Al Mialkovsky:
While it may seem that we're kind to obese people here on another thread someone complained about fat people sitting next to them on airplanes. She saw that thread too. That's only one reason she asked for something more private.

Those posts weren't moderated and aren't even being considered for moderation I'll venture.

It's ok to poke fun at fat people and it isn't only because we were all once fat, it's just our nature to be cruel at times.
Actually, I read those comments because a member suggested I do so. In fact, I went in there looking for ToS violations, because it was suggested to me that someone had been hostile to other members of this board.

Now ... I've been overweight all my life, and am capable of looking at these comments from the viewpoint a fat person looking for insult. Sorry, but I don't see it.

The whine is about crowded airline seats ... and the fact is that seats on an airplane are too narrow, without consideration for the size of the people who are occupying them. Another thing is that when you purchase an airline seat, you have a reasonable expectation to be able to occupy the entire seat yourself.

Sitting for hours in a cramped airplane while making (literally) physical contact with a total stranger is uncomfortable for a lot of people ... I have no doubt it's as uncomfortable for the oversized person spilling over their seat is it is the person sitting next to them. Trust me on this one ... I have to use a lot of care to not "overreach" my own space in an airline seat, and I try to be as considerate as I can be to the person sitting next to me.

I didn't see any insults to anyone, either personally or through inference. I saw people discussing a situation that makes them uncomfortable. In that particular forum (Whine & Cheeze), I don't think that's inappropriate.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom