Suggestion Forum for Plus-Size Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
N

newdiver-toronto

I've encountered a lot of hostility and misunderstanding on this board and I think there should be a place where plus-size divers can discuss their concerns without having to deal with the fat phobia that's on the rest of the board. Thank you.

newdiver-toronto:
I've encountered a lot of hostility and misunderstanding on this board and I think there should be a place where plus-size divers can discuss their concerns without having to deal with the fat phobia that's on the rest of the board. Thank you.

Being on the larger side of the scale and with plenty of bioprene to spare I think I could relate to the issue you are facing but I just want to know what are you trying to accomplish by this?

What sort of "concerns" do you have that cannot be asked in the general forums that only relate to "plus-size divers"?

Also if ridicule is what you are trying to avoid, wouldn't blending in help more as opposed to drawing more attention to ones size by posting in a "husky" forum?

newdiver-toronto:
I agree that I can be sarcastic, or even hostile, but it's never been aimed at someone's appearance.
Given that you don't have a picture of yourself in the profile, I can only assume that most people here wouldn't know what you look like unless you described yourself or otherwise brought your appearance into the spotlight. I agree with NWGratefulDiver... I've never had any problems with depricating comments on this board in years of use, even though I have occasionally posted comments and questions related to issues stemming from being an overweight diver. If there was a "fat forum", I wouldn't see any need to use it.

That aside, if you want to put a stop to ignorant comments and disgusted looks from others, you might consider that your choice of avatar could be construed as conveying a similar sentiment.

MSilvia:
Given that you don't have a picture of yourself in the profile, I can only assume that most people here wouldn't know what you look like unless you described yourself or otherwise brought your appearance into the spotlight.
She changed her avatar (picture) today.

I'm not sure how many dives you have, but given that your name is "newdiver-toronto", I'd guess you haven't done a lot of diving.

If you'll look around on dive boats and beaches, you'll see a significant percentage of divers that range from "a little extra padding" to "I wonder if the ladder is going to hold". It's really no big deal, and I sugggest you ignore any comments you find disagreeable.

Terry

newdiver-toronto:

newdiver-toronto:
Rhonda I spent a few years as a morbidly obese diver. I was up past 350 when 7 years ago I had a gastric bypass. I'm not skinny by anyones measure now but it did make a difference in my life.

I get it and most who have never been obese never will get it. Personally I think such a forum might make sense.

It's a shame that newdiver-toronto changed her avatar to a sad pink pig and decided to leave. But, I don't think anybody ever made a comment about her weight. She made a number of contentious comments to people who were joking for the most part. I think it is more of a matter of having an anorexic sense of humor. I never judge anyone because of their weight and from what I've seen here, most of the other members don't either.

Al Mialkovsky:
Personally I think such a forum might make sense.
I think it would be a magnet for trolls ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I think it would be a magnet for trolls ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
You may very well be correct Bob. There is a huge website for people who are looking into weightloss surgery and not a single comment can be allowed to be posted on the forums until a moderator looks and approves it. There are many many wannabe trolls there and they posted some cruel comments which required the heavy moderation.

I understand Rhondas concerns. She may not have been attacked her personally but I'm certain she has been when discussing certain issues with non obese people. There are things morbidly obese people would want to ask of us, such as how much weight, where to carry the extra lead, how to pull up a 7 mil suit or where to get a custom suit. Things that if posted on a public forum would lead some nasty comments.

If such a forum existed for obese divers it would have to be heavily moderated, most likely requiring advance approvals of any posts.

Too much work I'm sure.

I think such questions could easily and openly be asked in the Basic forum, with the current set of rules that this board already has. Personal attacks and insulting posts could be removed, and on the part of the people asking questions, if they don't come charging in with a chip on their shoulder and instead asked, "Hi, folks. I'm a little on the heavy side, and I've got some questions about my gear, where to put my weights for best trim, and whether I should use a belt, ankle weights, or use weight-integrated BC."

I don't think anyone would say anything derogeratory to that.

My two cents' worth...

Most obese people have been hammered every day of their life Frank. I'm not pushing for such a forum but I understand why it could benefit some divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom