Fort Lauderdale is killing sea turtles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't do "thanks" multiple times....

So, City of Ft. Lauderdale, when are you going to start enforcing the ordinances you have set?
Ft. Lauderdale Lighting Ordinance Sec.6-51
"It is the policy of the City of Fort Lauderdale that no artificial light shall illuminate any area of the incorporated beaches of Fort Lauderdale, Florida."
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=...s/stories/docs/Turtle_Beach_Lighting_Laws.pdf

Mario Sotolongo (954) 828-6326

Dick Eaton cell (954) 873-8911

If I were to go off that first part...you would have to darken everything within 1/2 of a mile of beach. That is simply not realistic.

So change the law. Simple.

The problem is, Politicians and Bureaucrats do not want the bad PR that would come with it, so they look the other way when local law (and by-law) enforment ignore the lack of upholding the law. That to me is as bad as a cop taking a bribe to look the other way when someone gets beaten up. Both should have laws that apply......but only one gets enforced.

If I were to go off that first part...you would have to darken everything within 1/2 of a mile of beach. That is simply not realistic.

The City of Fort Lauderdale is pretty oblivious to the situation. As a matter of fact one of their own brand new buildings is part of the problem. The city just built a brand new fire station at the marina on A1A, it was designed, permitted, and built without "turtle friendly" lighting. Of course now they are scrambling to fix it, but this is costing the tax payers money and the turtles their lives. The original job was bought and installed and now the "fix" must be bought and installed, essentially throwing out the original fixtures. In this day and age, in Florida, how can this be. Here in Collier County any time a new building near the water goes up all turtle lighting codes are complied with.

You can illuminate a building and still be within the "turtle friendly" guidelines. You must use light of certain types and colors which don't affect the turtles sense of direction.

Yes, we know that. Unfortunately, many businesses and homeowners are NOT using turtle friendly lighting.

I was kinda floored reading this. I was driving down A1A in north Boca, and I couldn't see squat. No condo lights, no street lights... I felt like I was in a bad horror movie and waited for mutant zombies to block the road.
So what is up with the peoples down under in Fort Lauderdale?
I'm pretty jaded these days, but there are things more endearing nature than a horde of leetle baby sea turtle hatchlings skedaddling for the surf.
Maybe if the mutant zombies depopulated all these lumenous light lovers, the streets... or "screets" as more and more of the streets of Broward county are referred to these days... might be a little more conducive to the turts.
I gotta nelieve that a lot of people does flat out are unaware about how cloddish they are. The rest... well, zombies gotta eat too.

I am convinced that Ft Lauderdale's water supply is tainted explaining a wide array of anti-social behavior. The up-side is their teeth must be cavity free...:)

Awesome job girls!

Question? Why cant temporary backdrops be placed behind the nest at problem sites? A few 2x4s and 3-4 peices of plywood painted black would stop any light from being seen for 12-5 ft on each side of the nest.:idk: You could wrap it in a 24'-32' semi circle around the nest and stop any babies from going the wrong way as well.

Then what do we do when they get 10, 20, 50 feet from the nest and see the light source and race in that direction? We simply cannot make a dark tunnel from nest to ocean for them.

My family and I had a great time watching paint dry... I mean watching the nests last weekend. Too bad they didn't hatch. Maybe next time!

TY Jenny!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom