Fort Lauderdale is killing sea turtles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then what do we do when they get 10, 20, 50 feet from the nest and see the light source and race in that direction? We simply cannot make a dark tunnel from nest to ocean for them.

Debby, I know nothing about their habits and natural insticts. I figured once they start heading in the right direction they would keep on going. It was just an idea, I figured a 8 ft tall by 24-30 ft wall might be enough to block the view of the lighting.

I wish we were down there to assist in the watches. Kate and I would be all over it. :wink:

We've both put in over 100 hrs on the volunteer dive team at the local aquarium this year and this kind of thing is right up our alley. Kuddos to you and all the volunteers for your efforts. :cool2:

Heck, if they are ONE INCH from the water's edge, they will still turn away from the water and head toward the light.

We hear these same ideas over and over throughout the season and they seem good, but they won't work. The lights creat sky glow, a 90 foot fence would not stop the turtles from going the wrong way. The ONLY SOLUTION is to get the lights off!

I'm in awe of you putting in that many hours at your aquarium, wow!!! Thanks!!!

THANK YOU MR "Light House"! Turtles did not disorient towards your house tonight. I humbly thank you for turning off the lights.

WOW!!!!!!!! So awesome...thanks a million for being out there, Jenny!

Debby and Jenny - Kudos to you both, and others in STOP, for what you're doing for the turtles.

:thumb:

The turtles need our help. If you are in the Ft. Lauderdale area and have signed up to volunteer and have gone through orientation, please help. We are near the end, yet many many nests still need to be watched in these final weeks.

Amen. I got the word today. Everyone disappeared at the beginning of September, but there are still nests in critical need!!! Please help!

Yeah, School started and the summer came to a quick close. I wish I could do more, but there is only so much one can do.

I look to the story of the starfish for inspiration to keep helping. It matters to the turtles. (and the flashback image of the three dead babies on the beach pops into my head)
The Starfish Story - Inspiration

The Starfish Story

adapted from The Star Thrower
by Loren Eiseley
1907 - 1977

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "I made a difference to that one!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom