Fort Lauderdale is killing sea turtles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, that's what turtle nest watching is all about. Nights and nights of sheer boredom broken up by minutes of sheer chaos.

Thanks Wiz for coming out and helping. Really appreciate your help. Wish we could have seen the turtles. But, I put in 10 hrs this weekend on the beach with only sand in the hair for my efforts. (it was really breezy last night. Wind from the North blowing down the beach) Oh, and I am really tired! Still, though, thanks for coming out.

The other problem with backdrops and the like (somebody suggested installing remote cameras to watch the nests), is that while all well and good intentioned, it is just a band aid to the problem--lights on the beach!

And then there is sheer ignorance. I was checking/looking for a couple other nests that are ready to hatch. I found them on Friday night and all was good. I checked 2 of them again on Sat. night. Then I find a natural nest that I checked on Sat. night. It, like all other nests are staked off with caution tape and a sign depicting it is a turtle nest. More than one person (judging by the size of the foot tracks) intentionally stepped over the caution tape and stomped and kicked sand all over the place. They disturbed at least the top 6-8" of sand. The nest will be in the "ready to hatch" zone in a couple days. :mad:

Sea Turtle Oversight Protection - Sea Turtle Oversight Protection. to sign up to volunteer

Yeah, that's what turtle nest watching is all about. Nights and nights of sheer boredom broken up by minutes of sheer chaos.

you got that right. I think the ratio of boredom:chaos for me is 35:1 right now. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Yes, we know that. Unfortunately, many businesses and homeowners are NOT using turtle friendly lighting.

Debby, I was just responding to Aqua's comment of having to blacken everything within a 1/2 mile of the beach - that is doesn't have to be that way if guidelines are followed and enforced.

Thanks Wiz for coming out and helping. Really appreciate your help. Wish we could have seen the turtles. But, I put in 10 hrs this weekend on the beach with only sand in the hair for my efforts. (it was really breezy last night. Wind from the North blowing down the beach) Oh, and I am really tired! Still, though, thanks for coming out.

Sea Turtle Oversight Protection - Sea Turtle Oversight Protection. to sign up to volunteer

Hey at least we had a good time with the 'coons on the parking lot. Some of them were as big as my son... What are they feeding on geez!:shocked2:

We will be out there again soon.

They're eating cat food, Wys!!!

Hey at least we had a good time with the 'coons on the parking lot. Some of them were as big as my son... What are they feeding on geez!:shocked2:

We will be out there again soon.

Dead turtles??

September 16, 2010

September 4, 2010
nest #484, Ft. Lauderdale

September 11

"Tracks leading straight to Days Inn on A1A and Harbor Drive."
"About an 80% disorientation.... they were not recovered."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom