Fort Lauderdale is killing sea turtles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are not taking new untrained volunteers this late in the season, but certainly visit the site and get signed up for next year!

Yeah, School started and the summer came to a quick close. I wish I could do more, but there is only so much one can do.

I look to the story of the starfish for inspiration to keep helping. It matters to the turtles. (and the flashback image of the three dead babies on the beach pops into my head)
The Starfish Story - Inspiration

Ladies, kudos to you. I can relate bigtime...I spent many years dedicating my life to wildlife rehab with birds of prey. The public doesn't get it -- they think there is some government official out there "somewhere" that takes care of everything. We were often criticized for the effort we would put into "just one bird" and that starfish story is a favorite of mine. But so many years of seeing never-ending animal suffering that was almost always caused by humans (intended or unintended) finally burned me out. I understand and feel your frustration, pain and exhaustion...bless you for being among the few that actually DO something instead of just sitting back and wringing your hands about it like most people do.

Hermit Crab and I are planning on going out Friday and Saturday night. Don't know where we'll be just yet (Debby, any more nests in Hollywood?)

Jenny, best to ask me the day you're going out. Map still shows 116 and 117, at 48 days tonight. OTOH I'm the only one who does reports in that zone and with my being unable to get out...I just don't know.

Ok, will go out at lunch time and check.

(posting partially to keep this thread alive and for more people to see it)

Yep, there are nests that need to be watched tonight. One already hatched out, but since it's a relocated nest, they keep the stakes up for a few days.

Here's some numbers you can throw at them about the benefits of stopping the lights. I cut and pasted this for you. They are very strict in our county (Brevard). Restaurants, bars and homes on the beach have to have lights out or special colored lights. There is no construction early in nesting season and inder normal circumstances, no beach construction activities are permitted during this time. To protect late-season nests, any beach construction planned for the period after nesting season but before November 15th requires daily monitoring beginning 65 days prior to the onset of construction activities. They also use silt fences in areas that already have construction started with bare sand patches to roads.

Also, why don't you use those pesky parking enforcers and send them out at night to right fines for lights on. Simple to go to the end of the streets on beach and walk I understand it may be another department but perhaps being from the all mighty powers that be, they could work in conjunction. God knows, they love to hit you for an expired meter.

See below....

By Greg Pallone, Reporter channel 9 news
Last Updated: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:21 AM
MELBOURNE --

A record was set Tuesday for green turtle nests found in the 13-mile-long Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge in the southern part of Brevard County.

With 10 spotted Tuesday, there are now 3,966 since the count began more than six months ago.

The milestone was set on the beach where ATV tracks are still fresh.

On Tuesday morning, University of Central Florida students and researchers counted the nest that put them over the top and broke a record set in 2001.

That's compared to the average of fewer than 50 nests found in the same time frame in the early 1980s.

Researchers account for the drastic increase to the power of the Federal Endangered Species Act and Florida's stricter laws protecting turtles and their eggs.

Loggerhead turtle nests along the 13-mile stretch of beach have also skyrocketed in 2010.

Officials said 12,229 nests have been spotted, compared to 8,668 last year. That's a 40 percent increase.

"Everyone who has supported marine turtle conservation programs in any way can take some gratification in the results we documented last night and this morning,” said Llewellyn Ehrhart, a UCF researcher.

Ehrhart said the Archie Carr area is now a three turtle species refuge.

Leatherback turtles were non-existent in the early 1980s, but this year they counted 35.

Went out Friday, Saturday and last night sitting at nests. No babies from the ones I sat at, but activity at others. Looking forward to lights being out. Then I can get sleep.

Turtles are being lured by the lights on A1A. Our tax dollars pay for these lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom