Forgot to put dust cap on.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skink_au:
I've got an Oceanic Atom transmitter instead of the SPG. Should I therefore remove the transmitter or are they sealed so not as important?

PS - Thanks for the replies. Worried I may have totally stuffed my regs - and they are only two weeks/5 dives old!

Skink_au

I'm not familiar with sending units but I'm fairly sure the electronics are well sealed. Yet something has to sense the pressure and corrosion/deposits from getting things wet that are normally dry can't be a good thing. OTOH, if it were a really bad thing they would be dying left and right as some water inevitably gets in for lots of reasons without instant catestrophic damage. I'd pull the sending unit and let it dry. It's also a good chance to inspect the HP port for any sign of corrosion.

Skink_au:
I've just come home from a night dive (where I found out why they call it a 'numbfish') and thrown my regulator in the bath tub to soak. Immediately I saw that the dust cap wasn't on. I grabbed the regs and connected it to a tank and purged the second stage, occy and bcd inflator.

Is there anything else I could have done (apart from putting the dust cap on!) or should now do?

Skink_au

Kinda a dumb question, but I am new at this. Is the dust cap the black protector on the regulator? Also, why did you need to purge all that stuff?

Makushr1:
Kinda a dumb question, but I am new at this. Is the dust cap the black protector on the regulator? Also, why did you need to purge all that stuff?

Yes, that is the dustcap. As the name implies that's all it can really protect the first stage from.

He was purging to drive any water that may have entered the first stage through the system before it could cause problems. Sometimes it is a bit surprising to learn that for gear that takes us deep down into the ocean it counts on being exquisitely dry on the inside to avoid a host of problems.

Pete

My original post was done at 2am, and I have since spoken to two people here who know my gear and said that a small amount of water purged through the system immediately wouldn't do much harm - after all, small amounts of water get in after a dive when you put the dustcap on and the amount of air I put through would have driven all water through (two tanks with about 80 bar left).

I then left the gear in a warm room (28C/84F or hotter) for the day with the dust cap off for it to dry.

Now I only have to remember not to leave the dust cap off again!!!!

Skink_au

Skink_au:
after all, small amounts of water get in after a dive when you put the dustcap on

Did they forget the lesson about blowing the dust cap off before installing? Aside form humidity no moisture should be introdced.

Pete

I think I may have forgot to purge my reg and octo, or maybe just my octo, last time I went diving. It was my first time to dive since I took the classes about 2 months ago, so I forgot a little bit possibly. Am I in trouble? I dont have a tank handy to purge it right now. Any suggestions?

Makushr1:
I think I may have forgot to purge my reg and octo, or maybe just my octo, last time I went diving. It was my first time to dive since I took the classes about 2 months ago, so I forgot a little bit possibly. Am I in trouble? I dont have a tank handy to purge it right now. Any suggestions?

Purging it's self is not required, the internals should stay dry in use by design. I just like to soak my seconds in water while pressureized and the purge them in the pail so the bubbles can help remode any debris. As long as the purges were not depressed underwater while the air was off you should be OK.

Now for the big question, what's with keeping that stuff dry for 2 months?

Dive safe and often,
Pete

Well, it hasnt been dry for 2 months, rather a couple days. I just got my equipt a week ago and tested it out in my pool.

spectrum:
Yes, that is the dustcap. As the name implies that's all it can really protect the first stage from.

He was purging to drive any water that may have entered the first stage through the system before it could cause problems. Sometimes it is a bit surprising to learn that for gear that takes us deep down into the ocean it counts on being exquisitely dry on the inside to avoid a host of problems.

Pete

Elaborate.... Specifically what "host of problems?"

Back
Top Bottom