Force Fins, are they worth that much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have been looking at purchasing the Force Fin Excellerating ( the ones with wings) they look great and the reviews are fantastic, all except for the price. I regulary get calf cramps during dives ( the pain usually lasts for 2-3 days afterwards) and am this year going divemastering in turkey so was looking at these to prevent the pain! Does anyone know about these and if they are recommended, where to buy them from.
Cheers

scubasteve_dm:
I have been looking at purchasing the Force Fin Excellerating ( the ones with wings) they look great and the reviews are fantastic, all except for the price. I regulary get calf cramps during dives ( the pain usually lasts for 2-3 days afterwards) and am this year going divemastering in turkey so was looking at these to prevent the pain! Does anyone know about these and if they are recommended, where to buy them from.
Cheers

I've never used them but I haven't heard much other than negative reviews. Buy yourself a pair of Turtles for drysuit and/or a pair of Jet Fins (Scubapro... NOT the split ones) for wetsuit diving. Spring straps are a nice addition to both of those.

I haven't heard anything positive about them except in their own ad material.

I've never seen someone wearing them, either.

I was on a liveaboard once where someone brought on a new pair of forcefins and left them on the boat when they got off. In other words, they hated them.

underwaternet:
I was on a liveaboard once where someone brought on a new pair of forcefins and left them on the boat when they got off. In other words, they hated them.
Now that's funny. Doesn't even want to ebay them...

scubasteve_dm:
I regulary get calf cramps during dives ( the pain usually lasts for 2-3 days afterwards)

IMHO, you should try a pair of Apollo Bio-fin pros (yes, they are split fins). They are very soft, and provide very decent propulsion whilst requiring very little effort and might help relieve your cramping problem. They will NOT provide the maneuverability of a pair of Jetfins but if you get calf cramps regularly, hard, heavy rubber fins (i.e. Jetfins) are probably not the answer.

The Force Fin Excellerating is a great fin and somewhat different than the classic Force Fin. I have both and I like the Excellerating better because you can do more kick styles with it. You can get them new at LeisurePro cheapest or watch Ebay but you rarely see the Excellerating. You don't need the wing things or the exotc tangent delta urethane, get the optional bungie straps instead. You can probably find more extensive reviews (both positive and negative) from people who have actually used them by doing a search here. You can make up your own mind then.

I would be surprised if changing fins helps your calf cramping problem. Good diet, more sleep and exercise sounds like a more logical approach.

Hank49:
I would be surprised if changing fins helps your calf cramping problem. Good diet, more sleep and exercise sounds like a more logical approach.

True. I still think that someone who is perhaps not that fit might benefit (in the short term) from trying a pair of Bio-fins. Improving one’s fitness and diet would be a very beneficial (but longer term) goal. I think for most working people (who also wants to have a life outside of work), trying to getting more sleep is next to impossible.

Vie:
True. I still think that someone who is perhaps not that fit might benefit (in the short term) from trying a pair of Bio-fins. Improving one’s fitness and diet would be a very beneficial (but longer term) goal. I think for most working people (who also wants to have a life outside of work), trying to getting more sleep is next to impossible.

It wouldn't be so long term. For a month before you plan to dive, do calf raises and squats on a stair three times a week for 10-15 minutes. Eat bananas on your whole grain cereal and get 8-9 hours sleep. It won't cost as much as the fins either.
I remember being out on a fishing boat in the Philippines for 4 nights while diving every day 3-4 times. I was pretty fit but it was rough seas and I wasn't sleeping well at all. Waking up 6 times a night on the rocking boat, sleeping on a wood deck. On the fifth day I was getting really bad cramps in my calves while preparing to climb onto the boat. Bad cramps. So we went ashore in Boracay for three nights, got some good rest and I was fine.

Back
Top Bottom