Force Fin review by a die hard Jet Fin user.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thread. Would it not be relatively easy to get some people in a pool, give then a 30 cu-ft pony bottle and then experiment how far they could swim with a know quantity of air (say 1000 lbs on a digital dive computer) using different fins. Would this not be a good comparison to allow someone to claim that a particular fin is more efficient than another? Personal preference for comfort and other issues are probably relevant, but why not a distance/effciency test?

I have a 10M pool and you are more than welcome to try it yourself.
I think you would only belive the results if you yourself tested them. I test for Force Fins and I would be happy to hand you any pair next to the pool where I live or, we can go on the dive boat I work on and you will have your answer.

Interesting thread. Would it not be relatively easy to get some people in a pool, give then a 30 cu-ft pony bottle and then experiment how far they could swim with a know quantity of air (say 1000 lbs on a digital dive computer) using different fins. Would this not be a good comparison to allow someone to claim that a particular fin is more efficient than another? Personal preference for comfort and other issues are probably relevant, but why not a distance/effciency test?

I did this years ago, not in a pool, but in open water. marked course, that 3 divers repeated 3 times each, using 3 different pairs of fins in different order (total of 9 dives over about 2 weeks). The fins were the Apollo Bio-fin, Force Fin Pro, and the Mares Quattro (open heel). We measured the air used and time to cover the distance. the goal was to match the time for every dive (equal swimming speed). It was an intentionally fast/hard swim, taking about 10-12 minutes to cover, short of sprint speed, but constant hard kicking. The results were telling, the Force Fins had air consumption rates on the order of 15% better for all 3 divers. Unfortunately, the spreadsheet that I had that data on was on a computer that I no longer have and can't recover. BTW- both of those divers now use FF, one stole my neon yellow Pros that I haven't seen in about 5-6 years now.

I did this years ago, not in a pool, but in open water. marked course, that 3 divers repeated 3 times each, using 3 different pairs of fins in different order (total of 9 dives over about 2 weeks). The fins were the Apollo Bio-fin, Force Fin Pro, and the Mares Quattro (open heel). We measured the air used and time to cover the distance. the goal was to match the time for every dive (equal swimming speed). It was an intentionally fast/hard swim, taking about 10-12 minutes to cover, short of sprint speed, but constant hard kicking. The results were telling, the Force Fins had air consumption rates on the order of 15% better for all 3 divers. Unfortunately, the spreadsheet that I had that data on was on a computer that I no longer have and can't recover. BTW- both of those divers now use FF, one stole my neon yellow Pros that I haven't seen in about 5-6 years now.

That would seem to be good emperical evidence rather than "the fin fills floppy" or "my legs got tired slower/quicker" or "it seemed easier to move through the water". A slow or moderate speed might be more representative of a recreational diver on a typical dive.

I have a 10M pool and you are more than welcome to try it yourself.
I think you would only belive the results if you yourself tested them. I test for Force Fins and I would be happy to hand you any pair next to the pool where I live or, we can go on the dive boat I work on and you will have your answer.

What Boat?

I work for Jim Abernathy's Dive adventures and the Boat is named Deep Obsession.

That would seem to be good emperical evidence rather than "the fin fills floppy" or "my legs got tired slower/quicker" or "it seemed easier to move through the water". A slow or moderate speed might be more representative of a recreational diver on a typical dive.

The problem with slow/moderate speeds is the same problem that is noted in one of the Uof Buffalo studies. at the low speed there simply isn't a high enough aerobic activity level for the fin to make a difference, literally any commercially available fin is good enough to provide the diver adequate thrust and any differences will be due to the "other" factors that can't be reliably repeated. In order to "see" a difference you have to push the diver into the upper aerobic levels for the data points to be valid (aka repeatable). So when we did our testing, it was at a strenuous pace, but well short of a sprint.

I have done some other testing over the years, my favorite one is have a diver swim at max speed (absolute sprint) until exhaustion. Rarely do I find a diver that can truly sprint for much more than 100 yards, some guys make 150-200, but its rare. Of course you have to time them for speed, I like doing it in the pool, going from the "T" on the lane marker to the other "T", count each lap as 25 yards, but don't push off the walls. Then put them in a pair of FF Pros and have them repeat it maybe 10-15 minutes later. Almost without exception, the diver thinks they are going slower, having them stop at the same distance of their previous attempt. Then I show them their times. Most common result is the first lap in the FF was slower than the first lap in their original fins, but all their other fins quickly drop off and the FF Pros hold very close to the first lap speed. Final times in the Force Fins are often 25 yards ahead (eg finishing 125 yards in the same time they previously did 100) of their other fins.
this is a very easy thing to do at your home pool, you don't even need scuba gear

Thanks, for the info. I think what you claim is reasonable.

Bob!
I love the line, "...unless your diving with MY fins."
:rofl3:

Great!
Simple, direct, and understandable.

Back
Top Bottom