Force Fin review by a die hard Jet Fin user.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, one of the claims about the fin is that is not prone to silting while flutter kicking. I am going to be testing that out with the SD-1's I was sent in a little over a week. I injured a leg muscle recently that would be aggravated by using a frog kick with a stiff fin, so its also a test of practicality (at least until that muscle recovers).

Bob has extended the loan on his fins and suggested I take them to N FL at the end of the month. I was considering ways to test exactly that in some caves where silting things out if that is not the case would not cause problems for other divers.

I think I have a plan to see how they do in some tight spaces in mild springs andd siphons initially where I can give them an honest eval and where flow won't be a concern until I am comfortable they do well otherwise.

well the issue of price is always there. some people care more and some less- its a horible thing to say but what can you do?
bobs fins are handmade (a thing that makes sure it has quality) from materials more durable than regular fins so in the long run it might be worth your while if youre seriously into scuba.
you dont see freedivers complain about prices- they are well aware of the fact that quality products cost money.
yes, the jet fins, bio-fins and whatever are way cheaper and they maybe even treat you better than force fins but more thought ant time are put into MAKING (i said making not designing- i do not disrespect any fin design because they all take time to plan) them than other, cheaper maybe less better fins.
eventually- do what makes you get the utmost feeling of being underwater.

I have splits, I love how they dont toast my knees. Some maneuvres are difficult in confined areas that I dont like. I also own Jets, love the maneuvreing I can do, also they got me out of a wicked current jam on the north end of Cozumel once. I got caught there with my splits and it was scary, I thought I was on my way to Cuba. So now I have bought the Force Fin, my divebuddy who uses them(FF), has mashed up knees from smoking himself doing 200k downhill racing. He has issues with his knees when he uses Jets. We mainly bag dive in Canada. We went to St. Lucia and we had a race while diving, I had the splits on. He beat me just by a little. But he wasnt panting. I then raced him with my Jets the next dive day. Beat him by a hair, but again I was the one loosing gas due to my lungs screaming. Also my knees took a beating over that, and I got leg cramps. That is the other issue I get from the Jests,cramps. So now I cant wait to use the FFs. I am going to use them this weekend I think. But for sure will be taking them to the Cenotes at Cancun December to try. No current there to worry about. I look forward to the fin.
Thanks for all the remarks and tests that you guys all do and did. It is a great bar for how they should feel for me. I appreciate that and I will post my feelings and findings on them. I am going to be on Coz for a month come February so I will put my 2cents worth down them. Cheers and good diving to you all. kev

thanks for the update, I always loved doing that kind of test and convinced many people over the years to switch doing the trials just like that.

The only thing I want to express. Is that Force Fins feel weird, until you get accustomed to them. The feeling of a toes free foot pocket and having the blade flex away from your foot as you kick is disconcerting to say the least. But, if you can simply ignore how they "feel" and just swim I am sure that you will find that you will get where you want to be with less effort, more air and most importantly more comfortably. Of course when you get your fins, get bungie straps, the prime cause of discomfort with FF is when people over tighten the straps that you don't even need, but with bungies, there is nothing to tighten and you'll be great all day, not to mention they are easier to don/doff.

Bob has extended the loan on his fins and suggested I take them to N FL at the end of the month. I was considering ways to test exactly that in some caves where silting things out if that is not the case would not cause problems for other divers.

I think I have a plan to see how they do in some tight spaces in mild springs andd siphons initially where I can give them an honest eval and where flow won't be a concern until I am comfortable they do well otherwise.

Well?? ... :popcorn:

I was really interested to read this review. But having read it, the bottom line remains: Is there anything about these fins that merits a $500 price tag, as compared with the under $100 price for Jets?

YES! MY BAD KNEES!! :wink:
I couldn't dive using my Jets anymore because of my bad knees. I sold my Jets along with a lot of gear because I thought that my diving career was basically over (big mistake) after an accident with a horse. I had been overseas for years and had never heard about ForceFins until visiting a dive shop in Oceanside, CA (taking my son for his OW as a graduation present) where I saw a pair of neon yellow FF Pros on the shelf for sale. I laughed. The owner (another former Marine) said, "What are you laughing at?" When I asked him if they were actually used by anyone, he said that they were his fins! I then proceeded to get quite an education by this rabid fan (safety diver for US Marines, Camp Pendleton, CA) on the merits of FFs. Steve even invited me to get a refresher course and see that my diving days were not over. Boy, am I glad I did!

My first pair was the less expensive Pros that I bought new off eBay for @ $80 thinking at the time that I'd be crazy to spend $289 for them new.

WOW! I could dive again! So I ask you, $300 to dive? Is it worth it? How about $500?? How about $1000?

I now own a few more pairs. The price may be high to some, but giving up diving is higher! Incidentally, like DA said, they may not be the fastest or quickest for a short distance, but at the end of a dive, I can still walk! Also, I have never had much trouble keeping up with divers a lot younger and in better shape than me (they often tell me to slow down! So I'm not braggin on myself (I'm a fat old man), it has to be the fins!

I too, was told once to send the fins back for exchange, I said, "Are you crazy?? What am I going to use in the meantime!?" :D

I concur with that. When I first started using Forcefins, it really felt that I had no 'traction' in the water. There was no 'feedback' from my legs. The sensation was akin to taking off regular fins underwater and then attempting to swim... it was wierd.

It was only when my buddies started asking me to slow down, that I realized I was indeed propelling quite quickly -but the effort from my legs indicated my normal more-than-leisurely dawdle...

Now, when I do utilise other fins, such as Jets, it feels like I have an anchor on my feet. I don't like the way I can feel the effort in my legs (or breathing rate).

THAT is ME, exactly!

One of our customers who is an accomplished Cave and Wreck diver has taken the time to write us about his Force Fin experience. He has agreed to let me share with the guests and members of SCUBABOARD his email. Thanks Terry for your time and energy you have spent in sharing your experience with the SD1-Military Force Fin.

-I am very pleased with these fins. I have been cave diving now since 1982 and I am 6'0 tall and have long legs and I was looking for a short fin that had alot of power in the flutter kick against a strong outflowing cave and the SD1 did exactly what I expected. I dove the Devils Ear Cave System at Ginnie Springs which has a high outflow. I was diving side mount with a single 95 tank under each arm. Since the flow going into the cave is very strong i of course used the flutter kick going into the large part of the cave and the SD1's gave me the power i needed in the strong current. In the past i would have had to use a larger fin to get the power i needed to fight the current but when i then got into the lesser flow smaller tunnels i went to the frog kick and with the larger longer fins i would end up hitting the top and side part of the tunnel with my long larger fins and this would disrupt the kick cycle. The SD1's were short enough that i could frog kick and not hit the walls of the cave. In the frog kick the SD1's were on par with my ScubaPro Jet fins but were far more powerful in the flutter kick which was what i was looking for. The only bad news was that the weather in Florida got bad and i only had time to dive the Devils Ear Cave before having to return to Houston. This spring i am going to return to Florida to do some more cave diving and more testing of the Sd1 fin and i also think i will be going to Cozumel and use the fins there. I will be able to test the SD1 in the strong open ocean currents in Cozumel since it is all drift diving there. I will keep you updated as i use the fins in these other caves and open ocean dives. As a cave diver i found that i can use the Sd1 with the frog kick and this does not cause a lot of strain on the legs, so when i am not fighting a current i use the frog kick to save energy for when i do turn into a current and then go to the flutter kick which of course needs well developed legs to get the power out of the fins. -
Terry Scoggins
Houston,Texas

Back
Top Bottom