Force Fin review by a die hard Jet Fin user.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster

Directional Toast
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Bob was gracious enough to loan me his pair of SD1 Military Force Fins and he felt these were the force fins best suited to the type of diving I do.

SD1 Military

I am primarily a Cave and Wreck diver and I can't remember the last time I dove a single tank, and more often than not I have a deco bottle or a stage and deco bottle along as well. So I have a strong bias toward large stiff bladed fins like the Scubapro XL and XXL Jet Fin or, even better, the slightly stiffer and equally large XXL OMS Slipstream - a monoprone clone of the Jet Fin.

I tried the original Force Fins a long time ago and I have never been overly tempted to buy a pair. But since Bob was kind enough to let me demo his personal fins and shipped them 3000 miles to the east coast, I figured I would give them an honest try.

I did a normal dive at the local quarry in my Fusion dry suit, Evo 3 boots, doubles and a deco bottle and used them in the same manner I would in a normal cave dive (frog kicks, back kicks, very limited modified flutter kicks, etc) for silt prevention. I noted several things:

1. The foot pocket is very well designed, is quite comfortable even with wide feet and large boots and will fit just about anything. There are a couple straps across the arch, but 10 seconds of thought on the matter is all that is needed to figure out how to tuck them away (I chose to fold the loose ends back underneath the upper velcro flap, which worked quite well.

2. They frog kicked much better than I expected. They track well through the water but do feel different (more on that later). They do not have the brute accelleration or the top end speed you get with a large stiff fin like the OMS Slipstream or XL Jet Fin in a set of doubles, but they did a respectable job with very little muscle required. Not the fastest car on the track, but very efficient.

3. They were very easy to back kick in. Much to my surprise they backed up easier than any fin I have ever used - much like back kicking in a pool with no fins at all, no intuition or practice required - it just happens. Again, they were not real fast, but very easy and with minimal muscle required even with doubles and a deco bottle.

4. Helicopter turns go reasonably well, but lack the precise feel of a Jet Fin during that evolution. Not bad though and much better than I exepcted.

5. Flutter kicks were also lacking in brute accelleration and power compared to a Jet Fin, but they are a big improvement over the original Force Fins when you have lots of mass to move in the water, and again they seem to require very little muscle power.

6. They are different though and they apparently use some different muscle groups, at least when primarily frog kicking as 20 minutes into the dive the muscles in the upper outsides of my thighs were starting to "feel the burn" so to speak. This was a bit of a surpise given that my legs are quite happy and complaint free after propelling me on 2 hour cave dives in Jets and Slipstreams. I expect over time, your legs would adapt, but it is different and would take some adjustment.

My conclusions were:

A. They do not have the same brute power and instant accelleration I like with my Jets and Slipstreams, but then you wouldn't have to have large legs to power them either. And in applications where you do not need that much brute power (single tank wet suit diving) I can see the appeal.

B. They are better than any of the several spilt fins I have tried over the years (at least in a set of doubles) in terms of frog kicks, back kicks and even accelleration.

C. They were a lot better than I expected. They don't have enough power to seduce me away from my Jets or Slipstreams, especially in current or a high flow cave, where you sometimes need power right now and lots of it. On the other hand, if they came in a version with a significantly larger blade that would offer a little more initial snap and a little higher thrust, especially in a frog kick, I could envision myself being tempted to switch. And I'd be more than willing to beta test anything Bob may feel like cooking up in that regard.

DA Aqusmaster, great first impressions. Look forward to hearing what you have to say after a few more dives. Thank you for your honest reporting. Best Regards. Bob

something I know from hundreds of introductions to Force Fins. No one ever thinks they have brute force, but when I have to complete the same maneuvers in their Jets the realize that the Force is there, but the feedback doesn't come from the foot or leg, but from the ears, as you feel the water rush by with no apparent workload. I think a handful of dives with them you will likely find the same.

Reactions: Pnd
I liked the review as well.
One of the things about these fins is that its a lot like making spicy food in a Restaurant.
Do you make it exactly the way you like or maybe toned down a bit. On Bob's fins, he can change the durometer on them and it is a never ending process. He always pics the brains of his test divers. Since I am a fin tester, I have boxes of fins and can pick and choose which fin for what ever type of dive I am going to do. The SD-1 Military Fin in my opinion is the most versatile fin of Bob's fins. It is a lot like a Swiss Army Knife a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I was in an elite unit in the military and if you used a gun analogy it would be like an Assault Rifle. Can it be as accurate as a Sniper Rifle? No. Can you clear a Room as well as a Submachine Gun? No. In my opinon you sacrifice some performance for the vesatiility. I really love that I took this fin to the Great Lakes and Alaska with my big Drysuit boots and Bora Bora with light wet suit boots. Since I moved here to Florida I have been using more of the upper end Force Fins. If a person was really into diving and was only going to buy one fin, then I would get this one. That being said, I love those two boxes of fins in my house!
Be Safe out there
Avi

I was really interested to read this review. But having read it, the bottom line remains: Is there anything about these fins that merits a $500 price tag, as compared with the under $100 price for Jets?

something I know from hundreds of introductions to Force Fins. No one ever thinks they have brute force, but when I have to complete the same maneuvers in their Jets the realize that the Force is there, but the feedback doesn't come from the foot or leg, but from the ears, as you feel the water rush by with no apparent workload. I think a handful of dives with them you will likely find the same.

I concur with that. When I first started using Forcefins, it really felt that I had no 'traction' in the water. There was no 'feedback' from my legs. The sensation was akin to taking off regular fins underwater and then attempting to swim... it was wierd.

It was only when my buddies started asking me to slow down, that I realized I was indeed propelling quite quickly -but the effort from my legs indicated my normal more-than-leisurely dawdle...

Now, when I do utilise other fins, such as Jets, it feels like I have an anchor on my feet. I don't like the way I can feel the effort in my legs (or breathing rate).

Reactions: Pnd
SD1's are a longer paddle type blade. They are worth the price. If you make a quality fin here in the US,then you will pay premium price for them/

if you used a gun analogy it would be like an Assault Rifle. Can it be as accurate as a Sniper Rifle? No. Can you clear a Room as well as a Submachine Gun? No. In my opinon you sacrifice some performance for the vesatiility.
It's an intersting analogy that fits well with the SD1. It is indeed a lot more versatile than I would have suspected.

And that is also perhaps why I have been such a die hard Jet Fin user. My diving is fairly narrowly focused on cave and wreck diving and training to dive in caves and wrecks, so I tend to focus on a very specialized fin for that application.

The question I have been asking myself is whether I would want the SD1s in preference to Jet Fins swimming up the mainline at Ginnie? I can't quite envision that, but I'll do some speed runs frogkicking and see what the data says.

Does the SD1 have the same surface swimming characteristics of the classic force fine?

not really, the SD-1 is a flat paddle type blade, and because of that they work really easily on the surface. The similarities with the standard FF is the high grade of polyurethane and the foot pocket. Really the SD-1 is basically the Force Fin version of the Jet fin, finally someone improved Jet instead of just cloning it and all of its problems.

Again here the urethane gives the fin longevity and performance (rebound or snap) that really lets the fin move your forward.
And although the foot pocket looks very different, it still harness the foot and the leg muscles in the same manner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom