Force Fin review by a die hard Jet Fin user.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"All I can say is wow. I tested your fins today and after all of the seals,
pj's and divers that use your fin a couple of pilots assessment isn't much
to pay attention to, however I will never recommend a other type of fin to
anyone. Your product is so superior to anything I've ever used. I only
regret is that I didn't get them sooner." Jess Smith
jesssmith_ffjet_be.jpg

I have great respect and admiration for the work and craftsmanship that goes into making Force Fins. I just have two issues that keep me from buying them

1. They are ~$500 or so, but do they perform FIVE TIMES better than a $100 pair of fins? Doubtful. It seems that, like many high end products, you are paying more money for small, incremental improvements in performance.

2. This is a subjective thing (and, to be honest, superficial), but I just think the things are ugly. I don't doubt they perform well, but I just can't stand the look of them.

I've heard Bob Evans on Scuba Radio, though, and he sounds like a pretty cool dude.

1. They are ~$500 or so, but do they perform FIVE TIMES better than a $100 pair of fins? Doubtful. It seems that, like many high end products, you are paying more money for small, incremental improvements in performance.
You do make a point there Spady, however, I have been using Force Fins (Pros initially, not Extras) since 2003 after a 20 retirement from diving. My knees were severely injured and I simply couldn't kick traditional fins without excruciating pain. Force Fins gave diving back to me! Sorry, but I can't put a price tag on that! :wink: Additionally, I purchased my first set from ebay for under $100. Surprisingly, when I was asked by Blair and Bob where I got my fins (I wasn't in their database) and I ashamedly admitted that I bought them used off of ebay, they BOTH answered, "Super! You got a great deal! Awesome! We don't care where you get the fins, we just want you using them." How refreshing! Yes, Bob and Blair are great folks. You should see them take the time with kids explaining them the complex issues in simple terms so that the young minds can absorb the info.

2. This is a subjective thing (and, to be honest, superficial), but I just think the things are ugly. I don't doubt they perform well, but I just can't stand the look of them.
My first reaction when I spotted my first fins! Now I think that they are beautiful! :eyebrow:

To add to the "cost" fallacy - you buy a $100 pair of fins and replace them every 2 years when the plastic fails - you buy a pair of Force Fins for $500 and you dive them for life. If you spread that cost over your "dive life", they are cheap. Now, if you are 70+ that argument may be mute. And that does not take into account the benefit of not stressing your legs/knees.

And if you want some Force Fins that don't "look funny" - try a pair of the new "Hockey" Fins. The look is not very different from most paddle fins but the performance is miles ahead (I promise you, your buddies will be begging you to SLOW DOWN)!!

TN Traveler,
I like looking funny- :rofl3: Thanks for your insight and continued feedback on the Hockey Fin. Everything we hear from the field has been good. Safe diving!

Blair

I own Pros, Foils, Excellerators and the Hockey Fins - so looking funny doesn't bother me either. :D
Guess I could add a pair of Flying FFs to complete the set - but maybe not since I think the Hockey Fin is the ultimate as far as price/performance.

TN Traveler, off tomorrow to Tahiti with Susanne, with our funny fins. We will be guest on the Paul Gauguin Cruises with Jean-Michel Cousteau and Nan Marr. A life time adventure we will share once we get home or maybe try to send from the Ship. Finally, off to start the new year on the right fin...diving with my good friends. All our best wishes to you and all our friends for 2011.

Bob

Glad to hear you are getting back in the water!!

Enjoy yourself.

Dive Safely

:sigh_2: - All I get is a cruise to the Western Caribbean at the end of January - with my funny fins. :wink:

I love the way force fins look and I am glad to hear that Bob and the crew don't mind people buying them on ebay. I own 5 different pairs, 3 of which I have bought off ebay. I just got back from a shore dive where I used a pair of force fin originals that I bought off ebay and received yesterday. My first pair of originals that are 15 years old were looking a little beat up after at least 1000 snorkel/dives so I got an unused pair off ebay.

I have to say that of all the pairs I own, I like the originals in original material the best. I cover 1-2 miles on long shore dives and these are my favorites. Every time I use them I am thankful and I tell everyone who asks how great they are. I went diving in the keys last week and let a couple of people use an extra pair I brought along. Hopefully they will purchase some.

Arrick,
Thanks for your post. There are many different places to buy Force Fins, just be sure to know about the purchase policy before you buy. Sounds like you have scored on some great deals! We applaud your interest and experience with Force Fins and wish you safe diving and good Vis!

Back
Top Bottom