For those of you who dive solo . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Anybody else find it amusing that somebody who hasn't even passed Fundies yet (soon!) is being identified so intensely with DIR?

Nope. We needed a new target since Jon has been so quiet lately. :D

R..

I have a couple of "regular" buddies that I do most of my team dives with, and diving with them is really enjoyable. We fit well together as a team in the water, and are good friends on the surface intervals as well, and it is unusual that we can't make our schedules work, so I think that I have available to me the type of buddy that you described in your original post.

That being said, I truly enjoy diving solo. I have always been someone who enjoys solitude, and being alone underwater seems to magnify the effect for me. I really can't even imagine NOT wanting to dive alone.

I don't try to justify it by saying that I am safer diving alone, in fact I think that compared to my regular buddies, I am accepting greater risk diving alone. The added risk is something that I accept.

Diver0001:
Nope. We needed a new target since Jon has been so quiet lately. :D

R..

yea, and you are in the "big mouth woman" club with me and kimmee. :D

and it could be pretty dangerous using an avatar provided from this membership without knowing who it is....see? you are not so risk adversive. (I would be afraid)

all these quiet solos...people I never suspected.

I trust Rob :)

I'm being a big mouth because I haven't had a chance to dive in a week. I'll be quieter when I can get underwater . . . My buddy for this afternoon (not one of my usual ones) just cancelled on me :(

oh, well, Lynne...we are here for you. I wish I was diving..it is beautiful today.

Guess it is just two members of the BMW club now.

TSandM:
I'm being a big mouth because I haven't had a chance to dive in a week. I'll be quieter when I can get underwater . . . My buddy for this afternoon (not one of my usual ones) just cancelled on me :(

So go solo. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Ahem...BMW club?

TSandM:
I My buddy for this afternoon (not one of my usual ones) just cancelled on me :(
Mine, too, so I'm dry today. However, he's making it up to me by bring the boat out tomorrow for a couple of dives on a 165' paddle boat. Vis, I hear , is up to about 4'.

BTW, I like your new avatar! LOL... I can practically her you saying, "Resistance is futile."

GDCB:
Ahem...BMW club?

"Big Mouth Woman"...know any carl?

i think in Hawaii it is called a TIDA.

TSandM:
I trust Rob :)

Lynne, I take it from this and prevous posts that there is something about solo diving that appeals to you but goes against the grain of your DIR experience. You have been blessed with some very good role models and mentors and I can certainly see why you are so enthusiastic about the whole package. One main aspect of DIR that causes me to reject it is that they want it to be a one-size-fits-all method to every situation and diving environment. Whether it be solo diving, CCR or sidemount cave diving, all these things are rejected by DIR yet done safely by numerous people every day. Many of us have heard the mantra numerous times and remain unconvinced. Although I have not been available to take a fundies course when I had $500 didn't know what to do with, if all the planets align one day I just might. I would suggest you use the same open-minded approach and see that there is diving beyond DIR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom