For those of you who dive solo . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave, working with the DIR people and trying to incorporate as much of that into my diving as I can would not stop me from diving solo . . . What stops me from doing it is my risk-averse temperament. Once I start diving doubles, it would be more tempting because I'd have some redundancy, but there's still entanglement . . . Maybe I'm just not that brave. And most of the time, I don't lack for somebody to go diving with!

Sydney_Diver:
Me, my Rebreather and my Cameras. Anything or anyone else just gets in the way of a tops dive.

Cheers
Chris
ill second this, i have three great dive buddies, two of them or able to dive as frequent as i, every other weekend and somtimes more, but other then them couple and if i am not teaching class, i dive with me and my camera, if someone needs a buddy to show them around of course i am always happy to help!

Love you Catherine ;-)

Lynne sorry to be off point. I also love these airings out. I'll get some more popcorn and watch the second half.

CB

joking...don't get me demerits for bantering,ok?

TSandM:
Dave, working with the DIR people and trying to incorporate as much of that into my diving as I can would not stop me from diving solo . . . What stops me from doing it is my risk-averse temperament. Once I start diving doubles, it would be more tempting because I'd have some redundancy, but there's still entanglement . . . Maybe I'm just not that brave. And most of the time, I don't lack for somebody to go diving with!

TS&M: You seem plenty brave. Diving solo is really not much different than driving solo. Sometimes being in the ocean by yourself, just moving at your own pace can be very relaxing and peaceful. In the ER you are not risk-averse, I don't think. You must make quick triage decisions that can be life and death.

In your pursuit of diving skills solo diving could provide yet another good diving experience.

I've been on dive boats with 30+ divers and could not wait to "slip off the back jack" and get in the water by myself. You started a good thread and you are getting good replies. Hope you get wet soon.

Sorry Lynne, I shouldn't be off topic. I'm a newby and should learn from this discussion.

Carl

TSandM:
I am also risk-averse and I have never dove solo without a redundant gas source (often doubles). I am not one who considers a buddy a liabilty, I do believe my self sufficiency that I developed from solo experience make a bad buddy less of a liabilty to me. I also remember my first solo dive. The serenity that I felt is still there when I do dive solo. I enjoy buddy diving mostly but there are occasions where freedom to go where I want, just stare at something goofy or just hover motionless the whole dive if I feel like it makes solo attractive as well. You will know when you are ready and I expect you will approach it with the same sanity and enthusiasm you have shown in other aspects of your adventures. From what I know of your mentors I don't think they are too firmly assimilated to prevent you when you are ready.

TSandM:
Well, "What makes you want to dive solo?" wasn't the question I wanted to ask -- I wanted to ask, "What would make you want to dive solo if you had access to an ideal buddy?"

Because when I dive for pleasure, my behaviour can put a buddy at risk and I'm not willing to do that - even if I am willing to accept certain risks for myself.

Which is a statement that I should really qualify! On training dives I don't (can't!) take my camera, so getting a chance to pleasure dive normally involves grabbing the camera and being utterly self-absorbed. I've made a decision to not teach phtoography in order to keep it as pleasure, and also because I don't feel I am a good role model when it comes to photography - and a recent experience reinforced my opinions on this. A friend asked if they could borrow my spare camera to try taking some photos and we got buddied up by default - because I'm used to diving solo when taking photos (or diving as a pair of solo photographers who may or may not be in a position to help if something went wrong) we ended up getting seperated at 35m when I decided to drop a bit deeper to take some photos of some beautiful corals at around 45m.

This wouldn't have been a problem with my normal photo buddy - we understand that we are essentially diving solo and have our own dive objectives. It also wasn't a problem for me - I have the training, skills, experience and equipment to dive solo at this depth. However, it was totally unfair on my friend who is a very competent diver (they had an excellent instructor) and to their credit they handled the situation very well by tagging on to another buddy team for the duration of her dive - but they certainly didn't have the experience or equipment to be alone at that depth.

So, I guess the bottom line is that I'm selfish and I like diving solo....!

Lynne, do you think that your newness to diving has something to do with how you feel about solo diving? Do you think that the types of dives that you do... the logistics... the environment... influence your take on this matter?

I suspect most new divers are leary to solo dive... as well they should. Also, I think there are some dive conditions that involve more or less risk than others.

Personally, if I had the dive buddies that you described in your OP I probably wouldn't solo dive. But I do understand the joy of solitude that some of the others here have posted. I, too, enjoy that. But, I wouldn't turn down a buddy dive to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom