For those of you who dive solo . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Well, "What makes you want to dive solo?" wasn't the question I wanted to ask -- I wanted to ask, "What would make you want to dive solo if you had access to an ideal buddy?"

Here Lynne, I made it avatar sized for you... :D

R..

catherine96821:
Rob, that's snotty. :D

I think there is a lot to discuss.... why would you say that?

There really isn't anything to say about it except:

1) you need to make your gear redundant. That can be done in a number of different ways including twinning, using a pony or using a bail out bottle. All of these have their own strengths and weaknesses and should be researched and if at all possible experimented with before you start.

and

2) You need to be fit. Mentally, physically and emotionally. There is nobody out there to help you when you're solo so you need to choose your locations wisely and perhaps more so than you normally would, you need to judge conditions critically.

See? Two short paragraphs. The rest is details.

R..

Originally Posted by TSandM
Well, "What makes you want to dive solo?" wasn't the question I wanted to ask -- I wanted to ask, "What would make you want to dive solo if you had access to an ideal buddy?"

As pointed out by Catherine and others: the peace and tranquility, time to just do as you wish with out any interference or distraction. You and the ocean, no team, no drills, stopping for a long time to observe if you wish, moving at will, and coming to the surface refreshed and relaxed. It cetainly does not mean that team diving does not have lots of benefits. Just my answer to "what would make you want to dive solo"

ScubaKimmie:
Peter your wife came on here with the entire DIR mantra in her first post. It makes it very easy to assume the rest. Dives the same, gear is the same, all that stuff.

I do NOT believe DIR should be taken by newer divers. It's just an opinion but it's what I believe.

We are definitely going to follow you..... You might be the most entertaining thing to hit scubaboard since Jespukar. :)

R..

Hmmm. Those two paragraphs work for me Rob.

I hate to confess ignorance . . . but who IS that in the picture? Darth Vader I know.

TSandM:
I hate to confess ignorance . . . but who IS that in the picture? Darth Vader I know.

ROTFLMAO.... You cannot possibly be DIR if you do not watch Star Trek!!! It's rule #27.

Oh! here we go quoting rules again - someday I'm gonna have to get that little black rule book :laughing:.

I watched the first series religiously and repeatedly, but never really got into the later ones.

Anybody else find it amusing that somebody who hasn't even passed Fundies yet (soon!) is being identified so intensely with DIR?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom