For those of you who dive solo . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaKimmie wrote
I do NOT believe DIR should be taken by newer divers. It's just an opinion but it's what I believe.

While somewhat off topic I admit, SK, I'm curious as to:

1. What do you mean by "taken by newer divers?" Are you referring to a class or what? What shouldn't "be taken?"

2. What is it about the DIR/Hogarthian gear that "newer divers" should avoid? Or what is it about the skills that "newer divers" should avoid? And/or what is it about the philosophy that "newer divers" should avoid?

I guess we just see different meanings Damselfish. I'm not a mind reader but TSandM is WAY too smart not to be able to describe it in a more innocuous way. I do respect her opinions though.

Also it seems that a team is only as strong as it's weakest member in many cases. Why should I base my dive on someone else's strengths or shortcomings. If I base it on someone strengths I may be put in a position where I'm beyond my abilities. Ideally this should not happen but due to human nature the possibility exists. Just because I've been to 150 ft in a freshwater lake does not qualify me to necessarily make the same dive in the open ocean with a strong current. Being of the team mentality tho may lull one into a false sense of security and result in doing this dive where perhaps nothing will go wrong. But what if I'm blown off and my "team" cannot get to me and a piece of gear fails. Then I'm screwed. If I base the dive solely on my experience, skills, and equipment I'm less likely to choose to make a dive which I'm not qualified for. If my buddy does the same and comes to the same conclusion that the dive is ok we are IMO better suited to do this dive and react if something untoward should happen.
By the same token why should I miss a dive that I'm eminently qualified for and have been planning just because the guy/gal next to me does not want to do or is not qualified for. ie. I paid for the dive,trip whatever and the op is ok with me doing it alone why should I and others who may be ready for it have to pay for the inexperience or lack of skills of one person. Let them sit it out if they choose. If they do decide to try it they need to understand that they are responsible for their actions and their own safety. I will assist if I can if there's a problem. I'm not however their babysitter. If a "team " decides to take responsibility for the actions of everyone fine. As long as they are all on the same page. Most times this is not the case however and for me adds to the risk rather than lessens it. If you dive with the same people all the time and are of equal ability and/or greater experince fine. I am not able to do this. Due to schedules, dive tastes, etc. Therefore I dive solo whenever I can or is necessary. Again gear is not nor should it be an issue unless it's down right unsafe to begin with. And I do not consider vintage gear that is properly maintained to be unsafe. And yes I know how to, was taught, and practice single reg buddy breathing.

Diver Dennis:
I guess we just see different meanings Damselfish. I'm not a mind reader but TSandM is WAY too smart not to be able to describe it in a more innocuous way. I do respect her opinions though.
well that's the thing - I think she did do a good job of describing it in a pretty innocuous way. I don't think one can argue that any of those traits by themselves are undesirable, but it says nothing about how one accomplishes them. The closest to the edge is maybe "similar gear" but it doesn't mention, um...you know, and I'm choosing to interpret it loosely. :D

Well....There really isn't much to discuss..... Solo diving isn't really complicated. I think everything that needs to be said about materials and technique can be said in 2 short paragraphs.

Rob, that's snotty. :D

I think there is a lot to discuss.... why would you say that? I agree on your fitness point though.

Peter, like your post. Lynne, love the avatar.

Solo really makes you face things in yourself that diving with others does not even scratch the surface of. Think about this, that GUILT you had down there alone for a few? Now...use that as a mirror of sorts. pretty ridiculous to feel guilty, and towards WHO for god's sake.... so then you use this insight to get in touch with yourself, just like meditation. The problem is with all you "busy" divers is that you don't stop and listen to yourself., you just collect more facts and add to your skill set. And for some people, diving is more of a religous experience, as hokey as that sounds. The reason you "kinda liked it" IMO is cause maybe you need it. That stillness cannot be bought in a class. You stumble upon it only when all alone.

Damselfish:
well that's the thing - I think she did do a good job of describing it in a pretty innocuous way. I don't think one can argue that any of those traits by themselves are undesirable, but it says nothing about how one accomplishes them. The closest to the edge is maybe "similar gear" but it doesn't mention, um...you know, and I'm choosing to interpret it loosely. :D

I understand...:D

Well, you know, the thing is that there really is only so much to diving (even if we manage to write hundreds of posts a day about it :) ). The qualities in the original post (maybe except for similar gear) are just qualities of a buddy . . . some buddy . . . that I thought would make that person a GOOD buddy. I think it's pretty hard to point a finger to any of those qualities I listed and say that that's a BAD quality to have in a buddy. Just like I could describe a class that teaches excellent buoyancy control, environmentally friendly propulsion techniques, good situational awareness, and practiced competence in emergency procedures. Can anybody argue that those are not good things for a diver?

If a list of good qualities in a diver or class makes one immediately think of DIR . . . hmmm.

My last words on this subject (at least in this thread).

catherine96821:
... And for some people, diving is more of a religious experience, as hokey as that sounds. ...
For some people the "religious experience" comes from the rules and the team thing. Pick your style and do it well. You have all the fun diving the way you like and I'll have fun diving my way. Share with me and I'll share with you. That sounds like more fun than this arguing stuff to me :D. I don't get cooties from the DIR folks, I learn stuff I can use if I need it. I don't like the attitude that comes from the dark side at times, just like I don't like DIR bashers doing their thing. It's like kids throwing stones at each other. Let's go dive and have fun, shall we?

I think you are a very clever woman TSandM, and I mean that in a complimentary way. Those are all great qualities to look for in a buddy but where would you find all those qualities? You said yourself, in the terrific buddies you dive with and the style you dive, who practice the exact things in your list.

kimmee, from one big mouth girl to another...trust me on this...it helps if you try to make people like you a wee bit first. just trying to help, otherwise you will just be the new "fun to hate" person and I know you probably have some fresh, independent insights.

Lynne, I guess you were setting the criteria in the opening question. Your threads always bring out the best input, so feel good about that. In order to be interesting, the threads have to be a bit provocative, or it's like ho-hum, this again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom