For those of you who dive solo . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
... Maybe we're even better off thinking of it as a defiant behaviour...
Defiant or DEVIANT ???? :D

I think after going back and reading the original post just now what struck me was that there was nothing indicating any DIR mantre EXCEPT the line about gear configuration. And as I stated in my posts gear configuration is not an issue for most competent divers when diving with a buddy. It does however seem to be a big one with the DIR philosophy. And there is nothing wrong with that. For DIR divers. Most of us who choose to dive solo however do not dive with that configuration or mindset. We dive with what works for us and recognize that everyone is entitled to do their own thing. It is perhaps this freedom and way of thinking as well as self-sufficiency that allows us to quickly adapt to others preferences and abilities whether we sometimes like it or not. It also allows us to go and do a dive without a buddy if what we see scares the crap out of us.
This is also one of the major faults I see with establishing a solo cert. Who decides what is to be used. Is the RSTC going to establish minimum requirements because it's going to happen. PADI's new position paper on it is just opening the door for it to set up a new tech rec course. And once they do it so will everyone else. I say recognize it is done and let us do it our way. What works for one solo diver may not work for another. It's like the government sticking it's nose where it does not belong on many issues. We dive alone, let us decide how to do it. There will be instructors who for whatever reason will see this as a dollar generator (like the one local I found who insists on 2 students for the class) and give solo cards to people who really have no business in the water on scuba period. I also do not like the personal attacks here and feel that this discussion needs to be moved to the solo forum. I respectfully ask a mod to do this.

A simpler way to phrase is that both buddy diving vs. solo diving, and DIR vs non-DIR diving in many ways come down to "safest vs. safe enough".

This was the crux of my discussion with Peter last night. I'm risk-averse, and he's not.

If a new diver came on and asked the DIR contingent if they would solo dive under "x" conditions, I would sincerely hope that that person would get a bunch of thoughtful, sincere answers about why people would NOT make that choice (and some of our writers who are identified as being in the DIR camp DO solo dive on occasion, and hopefully they would talk about why). Just as most of the answers I've gotten on this thread have been honest responses from people explaining that there are rewards to diving alone that make it worth the increased risk in their eyes.

TSandM:
This was the crux of my discussion with Peter last night. I'm risk-averse, and he's not.

If a new diver came on and asked the DIR contingent if they would solo dive under "x" conditions, I would sincerely hope that that person would get a bunch of thoughtful, sincere answers about why people would NOT make that choice (and some of our writers who are identified as being in the DIR camp DO solo dive on occasion, and hopefully they would talk about why). Just as most of the answers I've gotten on this thread have been honest responses from people explaining that there are rewards to diving alone that make it worth the increased risk in their eyes.

Perhaps "increased risk',, in YOUR, eyes.?

TSandM:

That's again the mantra of DIR, you assume your husband is a risk taker because he's not interested in DIR . That is a large danger to you, because you are DIR you asume you are much more risk free and that isn't always the case.

Some of us just don't want to be assimilated. We're Borg free yet safe :)

ScubaKimmie, since you were not privy to the discussion in question, I find it puzzling that you know what it was. My husband and I AGREE that I am risk-averse and he is not; this is true throughout many things, not just diving. In diving, it manifests itself particularly with respect to our views on buddy distances, and this was true long before I had ever heard of DIR.

It's an interesting question, whether the solo diver is actually at increased risk, and if so, how much, when compared with diving with a competent buddy. It seems intuitive that there would be some increase in risk, but it may be quite small if the circumstances are chosen properly.

TSandM:

Well, for one, if someone knew enough about DIR to realize that it WOULD be a non DIR choice to dive solo, so why bother asking, one would realize that he's probably just stirring the pot and should expect some flaming. It seems pretty obvious that no one is pointing a gun at anyone's head to dive solo, so it's just a choice. If you had just asked, "what makes you want to dive solo"?, instead of laying out plan B, which is the route you've taken with your diving, you wouldn't have sounded quite as condescending, and no one would have gotten irritated. I hope this helps. Hank

Lynne,

I think this is more appropriate avatar:

borgqueen001.jpg

Well, "What makes you want to dive solo?" wasn't the question I wanted to ask -- I wanted to ask, "What would make you want to dive solo if you had access to an ideal buddy?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom