for the newer divers ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eavesdropping.

So, this is basically how the "solo with partners" philosophy starts. Is there any disadvantage to "being" a solo diver and diving with like-minded diver friends, where the assetts are off the table? Signed waivers that you are solo. ...and then dive together and dive the way you want.

lamont:
actually i was wondering what kind of liability i would be under if something happened to my less experienced buddy while i was doing something that was labelled as a 'mentor dive', even though i don't have any professional credentials...
None ... but the rules change as soon as you become a professional (which is why we're required to carry insurance).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

lundysd:
I think we should all just try and show up July 10 to go diving regardless of experience. The more people, the easier it will be to facilitate "appropriate" buddy pairing, and if the inexperienced divers happen to learn something, then more power to them :) (just to make things clear -- I am merely suggesting a dive outing/meeting). Does that sound fair to everyone?
Yes ... ad hoc is the way to go. Just a few friends out having fun.

I'll be out diving on the 10th ... might run into some of y'all down at "the office" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
None ... but the rules change as soon as you become a professional (which is why we're required to carry insurance).

yeah, but anyone can try to sue you for just about anything... its only when you are an instructor/DM that the chance of their success goes up dramatically...

from what peter said it sounds like washington state is halfway sane though...

Lamont, amazingly, this state has had some pretty decent liability decisions regarding sports -- especially two that interest me, Scuba and Horses. I've given you some Scuba cites, but the Horse one is really great -- and happened to involve a friend of mine.

The general rule is, IF you are involved in a dangerous sport, and horseback riding and Scuba are defined as such, you really are responsible for what you do to yourself. Such a novel concept and NOT one that carries on to other activities in this state.

Peter Guy:
Lamont, amazingly, this state has had some pretty decent liability decisions regarding sports -- especially two that interest me, Scuba and Horses. I've given you some Scuba cites, but the Horse one is really great -- and happened to involve a friend of mine.

The general rule is, IF you are involved in a dangerous sport, and horseback riding and Scuba are defined as such, you really are responsible for what you do to yourself. Such a novel concept and NOT one that carries on to other activities in this state.

That's good to hear. I'm amazed every time the law comes down on the side of common sense and personal responsibilty; and I guess this is one of those. Thanks for enlightening us.

Peter Guy:

This is public school knowledge :D

puckvirus:
This is public school knowledge :D

Not in a country where you can sue a restaurant for serving you hot coffee that you spill in your lap and burn yourself, it ain't.

"Hot coffee" arguments aside ... dive professionals and LDS's do assume an implicit liability every time they decide to organize a dive.

It is a sad fact of life in the USA that anyone can be sued at anytime for any reason ... and the chances of winning really boil down more to who gets the best legal counsel than the actual merits of the case. And for the person who gets sued, even a judgment in your favor can still mean extremely large legal bills to defend yourself.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So, we just won't have you organize the dives. But perhaps we can still use your network of contacts to help recruit the "experienced divers" for such dives?

Back
Top Bottom