for the newer divers ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob,
Wow! This is really gonna put a "damper" on things. Sorry to hear this, since you were a great organizer of the new diver dives and helping the newbies.
So, what we have to do is figure out a new avenue to continue something like this...on the other hand...
Thanks Bob, for all you have done and for all you do for the diving communtiy.
Kirsten

So, Bob, if I were to organize these dives and just try to put experienced divers and newbies together, given the fact that I have NO professional credentials whatsoever, that should be manageable from a liability standpoint, right?

This kind of activity should persist. I met you this way. It's too valuable to let go.

I know. I'm married to one :)

I think newer divers should post more often when they are looking for a more experienced diver to help them out from time to time. When I was starting it seems that more people of all experience levels were posting more when looking for a dive buddy.

TSandM:
I know. I'm married to one :)

:lol: Ziiiiiing!!

actually i was wondering what kind of liability i would be under if something happened to my less experienced buddy while i was doing something that was labelled as a 'mentor dive', even though i don't have any professional credentials...

On that note, I need to spend a dive fine tuning my new rig... weights, placement, ext...It's so hard shore diving to setup, get into the water, find out something is not right and get out and back to the car to fix it....are there any good dive sites that have a pool-like edge that I could be in the water and put my excess weights on as I fine-tune things? or should I stick with my pool idea I put in the main discussion? I should have my suit back next week, anyone up for helping?

I think we should all just try and show up July 10 to go diving regardless of experience. The more people, the easier it will be to facilitate "appropriate" buddy pairing, and if the inexperienced divers happen to learn something, then more power to them :) (just to make things clear -- I am merely suggesting a dive outing/meeting). Does that sound fair to everyone?

Damn attorneys!

Anyway, in Washington at least, the Courts, in their wisdom, have decided that Scuba IS a dangerous activity, that is has little social value and therefore, waivers of liability are valid!

Hewitt

In addition, while a buddy has a legal obligation to her buddy NOT to dive in a negligent manner, she will not be held liable for her buddy's mishaps unless SHE is the cause of the mishap.

Bendotti

Given the state of the law here, I wouldn't be that concerned about liability whether I was a professional (like Bob) or a dummy (like me). As long as I had liability insurance that covered my attorney's fees, I really wouldn't worry.

OTOH, just to be safe, IF I was a pro and organizing a "mentor dive" I might be tempted to copy the release from the Hewitt case and have everyone I dive with sign it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom