For Sale Rix SA-6 compressor board and cyl's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pictures were indeed helpful. Buyer beware.

I thought RIX compressors were supposed to be the bees knees. Why is everyone so down on this one? I don't see the pics you guys are talking about. Maybe it's something in the photos?

@kelemvor they are, but compressor looks like it has seen a lot of outside exposure, likely a lot of salt, same with the motor and the panel needs a lot of work. It's probably worth about $2k max in that condition all in with bottles, whips, etc, and then need close to $2k in parts for the piston replacement and PM kit from Rix. Is it junk? No, it's certainly workable, but if it was fully rebuilt with all new hoses and cleaned up, I doubt it would go for $5k. No way in this condition it is worth 6

Ian, I respect you have more experience than I do BUT , ive restored American muscle cars that people , said were piles of scrap... those same cars sold for many thousands of dollars after I restored them (ive NEVER lost a nickel on one ) so what something is and can be are 2 different things , people who don't see the potential of some thing are very near sighted ,.....I don't have a dog in this race , so I really don't care what happens , I do believe the op may think his compressor is better ,worth more than it is but saying itscrap is a bit much ...ill bet you'd buy it if he wanted a hundred bucks for it then rebuild it and sell it for 7 k

Y'all made your point. Man asked for offers, not commentary on his compressor. If you don't want to make an offer, don't, but don't trash his machine.

As far as what it's worth? It's worth what someone will pay for it. If he can get $450 for a 4500 444 ft3 cylinder, good on him. I'll pay him a hundred bucks to sell mine.

Is it junk? No, it's certainly workable,

Tbone it’s no way workable, not even with $2000 dollars worth of spares and 20 hours of free time.
Take a good hard look,

1. It’s an Ex Navy surplus junker, with the original tubular frame and petrol (gas) engine removed

2. The base plate is not an original Rix neither is the Balder motor despite the OP

3. The 2nd stage relief valve is missing and replaced with a plumbers bung, probably because the 3 stage valve was leaking back and blanking the valve with a two dollar bung is the cheapest fix.

4. The 2nd stage heads were discontinued 30 years ago hence the original comment
No longer available spares you have to replace the whole head assembly

5 Ditto for the 3rd stage

6. The 1st stage head you can see the grinding marks where the replacement pulley was pushed so far onto the crankshaft it tore out a chunk of the first stage head. Even managed to groove the outside radius the pulley

7. Which is interesting and shows possible play in the main bearings causing the crankshaft play, Replacement bearings every 15 years so now needs a full and a full strip down

8. Look close the cooling coils are copper, not been done by Rix since the 80’s Copper will be work hardened by now so replace them while you are at it. 15 year expected life

All that from one photograph……..
And theres more………….

15 year is the change out life on the separators and that Bauer Filter, Any bets thats dated early 90’s

You want me to list all the parts needed to make this pile of junk work and your approaching $5000
Also add for the con rod bearings as I can’t imagine it was ever re greased in 30 years let alone every 30 hours and while on that subject how about replacing the main swash bearing and thrust rider bearings while we are at it.
There is a point with ex navy surplus compressors where they are beyond economical repair
despite what relivence others may think of the value of muscle cars. junk is junk and the truth is the truth.
This is a fair and honest assessment for what you can evaluate by a single photo for the benefit of any possible buyer on our compressor forum section.

Now my comment on this part

When New this setup was well over 10k i think i paid 7500 or 8500 for just the compressor because i insisted on having the baldor motor on it, wich is not a cheap motor by any stretch

Now it reads to me he bought it new, yet the pump is a Rix pump built for the Navy and that Baldor is not in the Rix inventory, so either the OP is another Navy or there is another Rix Industies that supplies crappy baseplates that we dont yet know about. And 30 year ago it was $3000 new not $10,000

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=VlJ5eDhJNmFiSDA5N3BxenJSVUFjNzQ2X205RjJB

Last edited:
nevermind...

Y'all made your point. Man asked for offers, not commentary on his compressor. If you don't want to make an offer, don't, but don't trash his machine.

As far as what it's worth? It's worth what someone will pay for it. If he can get $450 for a 4500 444 ft3 cylinder, good on him. I'll pay him a hundred bucks to sell mine.

Cookie

While I welcome and respect your comments
Let me remind you what this section of the forum is all about.

"This is where we talk about the machinery used to fill our scuba tanks!`"

I trust you fully appreciate our ability to exercise this as members and capability to do just that.

Yeah, he mistakenly missed the "for sale" section I'll wager.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom