Follow up on Emerald Shark Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I'm aware that "campaign" is a one-man nutjob show; to
Too true... and funny as well! :D :D :D

No mention of how.
The shark feeders are outside of State waters, which means neither the local or state authorities have any jurisdiction. It's a big ocean, there's room for us all.

Pete' the SAMFC is Federal and does not need state or legislative permission to enact laws.They write them,they are sent for review and normally approved after secretarial review.They also have the power to enact emergency rules without review until such time as stock assessments and other research is done.Alternatively NOAA or NMFS ,the parents of the SAMFC could implement rules as well.
The FWC has only 1 seat of 12 on the full voting council.

Here's a link to their main website SAFMC

825d977e3c4c40a91a67789824097fac.jpg

Maybe they should take them for a walk instead of feeding them.

Hi @100days-a-year,

Do you think the SAFMC will be actively pursuing the topic of baited shark dives/shark feeding? The information you supplied regarding the SAFMC, NMFS, and NOAA, is very interesting, I enjoyed perusing the SAFMC website. Offhand, do you know if there is baited shark dives/shark feeding in the other states governed by SAFMC, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia?

Thanks, Craig

I know of no other Eastern Seaboard states that have baited dives,I could be wrong.
SC and NC get quite a bit of tourism from unbaited dives on wrecks for sand tigers.I find fresh teeth on wrecks up there nearly year round.

It's a different kind of 'bait,' habitat instead of food. Humans introduced wrecks, leading to unnatural sand tiger shark (& other species) aggregations at sites they otherwise wouldn't aggregate in, facilitating frequent close encounters between human divers and sharks with potential for desensitization of the sharks who may 'unlearn' some possible natural fear of man...and yet no one seems to care about that. Which is fine with me; I enjoyed my North Carolina trip!

Richard.

It's a different kind of 'bait,' habitat instead of food. Humans introduced wrecks, leading to unnatural sand tiger shark (& other species) aggregations at sites they otherwise wouldn't aggregate in, facilitating frequent close encounters between human divers and sharks with potential for desensitization of the sharks who may 'unlearn' some possible natural fear of man...and yet no one seems to care about that. Which is fine with me; I enjoyed my North Carolina trip!

Richard.
Thanks Richard. For someone who has done the Jupiter shark feeding dives once, you have been inordinately supportive of this activity. If you lived in SE Florida, you would have a much better idea of what a controversial activity this is. Tourists love to have an exciting activity when they visit.

potential for desensitization of the sharks who may 'unlearn' some possible natural fear of man... Richard.

That is some fancy double talk! Sounds like a line Dan Volker might write!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom