Fold up fins, so you can easily walk into the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tell that to Steve Irwin! Personally, I am not going to put my HEART next to that possibility, thank you very much. I would imagine that the fins would also act as a SHIELD from those kind of barbs as well. :D

yeah yeah yeah......:D...you walk, I'll swim.

They have a flat but non-slip sole. So far I have found them secure on a deck and around slippery rocks and concrete entry/exit stairs at Catalina.
Now THAT is good to know! :D

Dave what took you so long.

you finally came back to put the thread back on topic.

Yesterday I gave these fins probably the hardest workout since we got them, I took them to Blue Springs in Orange City wearing a TLS350 drysuit, twin 108's and the associated gear that goes along with wearing doubles. These fins worked excellent in the propulsion, and manuverabilty aspects. I even walked up the stairs (closest to parking lot) and to the parking lot with them on without any snafus, nice walking with nothing in hands. Back at the van I offloaded the twins and then sat down in a comfortable fold out chair to remove the fins and answer a bunch of questions about the fins from the onlookers. The kids think your a real life transformer :) with these things, of course I didnt tell them any different. Did I need to do this, no, I certainly have no flexibility issues or nagging ailments, but convienence it was and to be able to tell anyone inquiring about them an honest opinion on them from actually using them. When I first saw them I thought gimmicky, in fact I let my wife discuss the fin with the rep, I didnt want anything to do with it because from the appearence I had made my mind up. Diving them in many different environments over the last 2 weeks changed my mind on them. Is this fin for everyone, no, if you have trouble kicking a blade wait till the splits, otherwise they are worth a try, with an open mind you might be surprised.

As with anything good, theres just gotta be a downside, anytime I'd use the tips of the fins to push off, ie. lean forward to start forward the blade would snap up (by design to fold them up) and just require a good flutter/mod flutter to snap back in place. I've found that by pointing the blades outward they would stay in place, time to write a new specialty, "Amphibian Fin Diver" :D.

This pair is now in our rental gear collection if anyone is in the Melbourne area wants to try them out. Yes I will use them in the future as well.

Schott

Yesterday I gave these fins probably the hardest workout since we got them, I took them to Blue Springs in Orange City wearing a TLS350 drysuit, twin 108's and the associated gear that goes along with wearing doubles. These fins worked excellent in the propulsion, and manuverabilty aspects. I even walked up the stairs (closest to parking lot) and to the parking lot with them on without any snafus, nice walking with nothing in hands. Back at the van I offloaded the twins and then sat down in a comfortable fold out chair to remove the fins and answer a bunch of questions about the fins from the onlookers. The kids think your a real life transformer :) with these things, of course I didnt tell them any different. Did I need to do this, no, I certainly have no flexibility issues or nagging ailments, but convienence it was and to be able to tell anyone inquiring about them an honest opinion on them from actually using them. When I first saw them I thought gimmicky, in fact I let my wife discuss the fin with the rep, I didnt want anything to do with it because from the appearence I had made my mind up. Diving them in many different environments over the last 2 weeks changed my mind on them. Is this fin for everyone, no, if you have trouble kicking a blade wait till the splits, otherwise they are worth a try, with an open mind you might be surprised.

As with anything good, theres just gotta be a downside, anytime I'd use the tips of the fins to push off, ie. lean forward to start forward the blade would snap up (by design to fold them up) and just require a good flutter/mod flutter to snap back in place. I've found that by pointing the blades outward they would stay in place, time to write a new specialty, "Amphibian Fin Diver" :D.

This pair is now in our rental gear collection if anyone is in the Melbourne area wants to try them out. Yes I will use them in the future as well.

Schott

Good review on the flip ups. After diving them as much as you have, do you think of them as a mainline fin or more of a speciality market item? :palmtree: Bob

I haven't read all of this thread. Are there any photos of said fins, in their folded and elongated states? Or can someone post some?

They could be a mainline fin for most depending on their diving habits and enviroments. I will probably stick to my SCP Jets when doing anything outside of the recreational realm simply because of the reduced failure point (please dont read any more into that than just a possibility as they havent failed on me yet). There is still going to be a question of price and fit as well, this fin only comes in 2 sizes and implements the use of padded inserts to down size. The price runs at or above the price of any other good quality fin with the inserts being extra on top of the fin. The fin comes standard with a spring heel strap which makes the price abit more attractive. I have a 8.5-9 foot, and use the large size with the medium insert with a non-layered boot (SCP low top delta boot), with a layered boot (SCP high top delta boot) or the turbo soles of my drysuit I don't need the insert.

I haven't read all of this thread. Are there any photos of said fins, in their folded and elongated states? Or can someone post some?

TEAMCASA posted pic's in post #42...have a look

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom