Flying with Ike D-70 housing and stobe...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plsdiver4377

Reaction score
The border between Western NC, Upstate SC
# of dives
200 - 499
A question for all of you experienced D-70 users. What is your preffered method of flying with this housing?

Carry-on (I haven't figured out how), or packed in a pelican and take your chances on theft, damage, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

plsdiver4377:
A question for all of you experienced D-70 users. What is your preffered method of flying with this housing?

Carry-on (I haven't figured out how), or packed in a pelican and take your chances on theft, damage, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Jim,

You might want to check out this thread
http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=10329.

I don't have the D70 but I always carry on my camera and housing. There are several people who have discussed the various options in the above thread.

Good luck.

Jim, I guess it all depends on what's most important to you.

My regulator, computer and mask are at the top of my list, so these are in my carry-on luggage.

Everything else I check. Whatever case you use, make sure that the case protects the Ikelite housing from compression forces; for example, a easily-dented case side that can allow luggage piled on top to intrude to the housing. I've had an Ikelite MD housing cracked this way in the past.

As for theft, because of the TSA, security is problematic. I do try to slow them down with zipties. I've just gotten good insurance and moved on, you can only stress out so much.

All the best, James

I carry on my cameras and lens and check everything else.....I take the handle tray off to reduce bulk and then wrap the housing with a wetsuit....it goes in with my clothes...many trips without a problem

Karl

kdietz:
I carry on my cameras and lens and check everything else.....I take the handle tray off to reduce bulk and then wrap the housing with a wetsuit....it goes in with my clothes...many trips without a problem

Karl

I don't have a D70 but FWIW I have had good luck carrying on my regs, cannister light (each in their own reg bag) and my camera and housing all in a mid sized backpack. My strobe and WAL are in a Pelican box inside my checked luggage.

[ Deleted... duplicate post]

Although I use a different housing, I always carry it on in my Pelican case. Be prepared for TSA inspections (or the equivalent in other countries) since they seem to attract attention.

The only thing I trust in my checked baggage is my underwear and old clothes... no one in their right mind would want them.

Dr. Bill

I do like fdog, get insurance and drop the stress. The only thing I carry on is my camera and dive computers, everything else gets checked. I do ziptie all the zippers as a minor deterrent but if they really want your stuff they're just going to slice the nylon anyway. One irritant on the TSA is they have turned on my flashlights I assume to see if they work and didn't turn them off twice so I arrived with dead batteries. Now I take all my batteries out with the exception of my UK Light Cannon. The instructions say to ship it with the batteries in. I thought about putting electrical tape over the battery contacts but figured they would try and make it work and end up breaking it. Not sure if it was luck but it made the roundtrip to Coz without issue this last time.

Depends on destination. Hawaii, Coz, Caymans, etc; just carry on camera and computers, everything else in a Pelican 1620. I use the "TSA approved" locks from Brookstone. If it is a "luggage challenged" location I pack housing w/camera and one strobe. Many locations will require batteries out of all items.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

Never had a problem carrying on regs, masks, laptops, and computers (wifes camera/housing as well) but this thing is a just little bigger than expected.

I still have a little time before we leave for Roatan. So I'll be looking into some of the ideas posted. If anyone has anymore please keep'em coming.

Thanks, Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom