fly time before diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edylchtims

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know from my certification course that one should not dive within 12 to 24 hours before flying. Is there a similar time from flying before the first dive?

edylchtims:
I know from my certification course that one should not dive within 12 to 24 hours before flying. Is there a similar time from flying before the first dive?

It's just a question of how long it takes you to get from the airplane to the water. My vote is for a seaplane.

The main danger is dehydration from a long flight but that's about it. Stay hydrated and you should be fine :)

The cabins of the planes are pressurized so you really don't have to worry about decompression sickness after flying. It is diving before you fly that you need to worry about.

In addition to the DCS danger of being dehydrated, there is the practical problem of whether or not you are mentally prepared for the dive. If you are a bit tired or frazzled from traveling, then a mad scramble of getting gear together and rushing off to a boat isn't the best mental prepraration for diving.

Particularly if I've been out of the water for a few months, I find a nice, slow start works best. No camera. Not a night dive. Not a challenging dive. Not hurried and rushed in preparation. For that first dive it's best to be rested, fresh, and alert. OTOH, lots of resort places, like Cozumel have easy shallow shore dives that are good for a quick dip to check weighting on the afternoon of arrival.

You are at increased risk of DCS if you're dehydrated as Charlie stated.

whenever we hit Maui we drive directly to B&B and get a couple of tanks and go dive Ulua as it's a shallow dive and it sorta makes dealing with all those jerks in airports an ok thing :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom