Fly Into Jakarta Or Bali For Raja Ampat Trips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning to get to Sorong to take a Raja Ampat trip and wondering is it generally better to fly into Jakarta or Bali for the domestic flight to Sorong? I'm in Canada but likely to also travel to Thailand either before or after my time in Indonesia.

Last time I looked (January 2023) for a friend flying from Bali to Sorong was a pain as you had to transit through Makassar and timing was odd.
I have no idea if connections have now improved, but Jakarta to Sorong non-stop (eg by Garuda) should still be preferable.

Reactions: Dan
In November 2023, I flew from Jakarta to Sorong (4-hour flight). It was easy, although it is a midnight flight outbound. Don't know about Bali.

As of late November 2023, there was a brand new direct flight from Denpasar to Sorong. A couple on our RA boat was on the maiden flight (they expected to stop in Makassar when they booked, but got the first direct flight). I can’t remember which airline, maybe Garuda? Worth checking whether that still exists.
If you’re just transiting it may not matter much. If you want to stop off for a day or two, Bali is much more pleasant.

I'm planning to get to Sorong to take a Raja Ampat trip and wondering is it generally better to fly into Jakarta or Bali for the domestic flight to Sorong? I'm in Canada but likely to also travel to Thailand either before or after my time in Indonesia.
Might not matter if you are booked through liveaboard.com on Aggressor fleet.
There is a interesting thread on Indonesian sub forum about Aggressor fleet and liveaboard.com.

Garuda just started a direct DPS-SOQ flight. It only flies Friday and Sunday. Otherwise getting from DPS to SOQ requires a connection in CGK.

Garuda just started a direct DPS-SOQ flight. It only flies Friday and Sunday. Otherwise getting from DPS to SOQ requires a connection in CGK.
HI, this flight is running direct. My friend was on it the other day.

Thanks everyone for your input. Since it's better to get into the country in advance just to get over jet lag, I was thinking that Bali might be a more pleasant place to recover than Jakarta but only if the flights to Sorong are okay. The new direct flight from Bali to Sorong might work well.

Flying singapore to jakarta in april. Going to sleep to recover than grb the midnight flight to sorong a few days early to recover from jet lag. From what ive read garuda safest bet flying internally vs batik. No one more reliable than singapore

Back
Top Bottom