Fly Into Jakarta Or Bali For Raja Ampat Trips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for your input. Since it's better to get into the country in advance just to get over jet lag, I was thinking that Bali might be a more pleasant place to recover than Jakarta but only if the flights to Sorong are okay. The new direct flight from Bali to Sorong might work well.

Fly to Jakarta. There are 2 direct flights a day that are consistent and reliable. The direct from Bali seems to be hit or miss. I haven’t been able to find a flight, or it let me book then canceled on me and is routing me back to Jakarta for it.

How reliable are the Garuda direct flights? Seems they do overnight flights to Sorong arriving very early mornings with plenty of time before a liveaboard departure. I would rather not stay the overnight before if at all possible but if the flights are not reliable, I guess I would have no choice but to get to Sorong a day or two in advance.

How reliable are the Garuda direct flights? Seems they do overnight flights to Sorong arriving very early mornings with plenty of time before a liveaboard departure. I would rather not stay the overnight before if at all possible but if the flights are not reliable, I guess I would have no choice but to get to Sorong a day or two in advance.

I’ve taken it 4 times and haven’t had it canceled but it’s always a possibility including maintenance issues. With that said, if you catch a flight the next day, it’s usually possible to catch up with the liveaboard in Waisai but it will obviously be a hassle and you lose a day. I advise you bake in an extra day just in case, or if your luggage gets delayed. I always bake in an extra day as insurance.

I just came back from Raja Ampat a couple of weeks ago. Check out my trip report (especially Table1).

I took Singapore Airlines from Houston to Jakarta & Garuda from Jakarta to Sorong. 8 out of 10 trips to Raja Ampat went via this route.

A couple times was from Bali just because some of friends want to sightseeing in Bali after diving in Raja Ampat.

I’ve taken it 4 times and haven’t had it canceled but it’s always a possibility including maintenance issues. With that said, if you catch a flight the next day, it’s usually possible to catch up with the liveaboard in Waisai but it will obviously be a hassle and you lose a day. I advise you bake in an extra day just in case, or if your luggage gets delayed. I always bake in an extra day as insurance.
Where do you usually stay if arriving in Sorong in advance? Much to see or do there?

from what i understand flying from sorong to bali can only be done via lion and batik. I am unable to find a garuda flight servicing that route. I really am a bit apprehensive about that as lion has already cancelled one flight and my agent was able to reschedule to a later flight. Hopefully I dont have to swim

I stay in Swiss-Belhotel Sorong - Book Direct & Save if I need to stay a day in Sorong for whatever reasons.

Most of the time I fly to Sorong at midnight, arriving in Sorong around 6 am and the liveaboard or resort crew will pick me up at the airport. That’s what I did on that February 2024 trip I posted above.

If I arrive a day early, I rather stay an overnight in Anara hotel in Jakarta airport, upstairs (2nd floor) of Terminal 3 international arrival. Have a nice dinner at the Terminal 3 restaurant like Sate Senayan. Have a nice 90 minute massage & shower at Kedaton Tropical Spa (also in 2nd floor, see picture, below). Then 2 hour before departure to Sorong, check out from the Anara hotel, drag your bag to 3rd floor of Terminal 3 Garuda check in counter, drop your luggage there and walk with your carryon to your flight departure gate. That was what I did last month. Everything went well and as plan.

IMG_3312.jpeg

Where do you usually stay if arriving in Sorong in advance? Much to see or do there?

Swiss Bel Hotel. If you’re into birding and/or photography, you could do a bird tour while there. There are some options in the local areas or overnight into local villages. It’s not much of a tourist town and is more of a gateway to RA.

I stay in Swiss-Belhotel Sorong - Book Direct & Save if I need to stay a day in Sorong for whatever reasons.

Most of the time I fly to Sorong at midnight, arriving in Sorong around 6 am and the liveaboard or resort crew will pick me up at the airport. That’s what I did on that February 2024 trip I posted above.

If I arrive a day early, I rather stay an overnight in Anara hotel in Jakarta airport, upstairs (2nd floor) of Terminal 3 international arrival. Have a nice dinner at the Terminal 3 restaurant like Sate Senayan. Have a nice 90 minute massage & shower at Kedaton Tropical Spa (also in 2nd floor, see picture, below). Then 2 hour before departure to Sorong, check out from the Anara hotel, drag your bag to 3rd floor of Terminal 3 Garuda check in counter, drop your luggage there and walk with your carryon to your flight departure gate. That was what I did last month. Everything went well and as plan.

View attachment 832582
I would rather stay overnight in Jakarta or Bali instead of Sorong in advance since there are more things to do. It's just the risk of being delayed if flying into Sorong on the same day as the liveaboard check in. The liveaboard I'm targeting has boat check ins up to 2 pm and if the Garuda flights getting in early mornings are reliable, I'm okay with flying in same day since there is so much time before 2 pm even if the flights arrive a bit late. It's the flight cancellations until the next day that I'm worried about.

from what i understand flying from sorong to bali can only be done via lion and batik.
Garuda has nonstops flights on certain days (2-3 weekly, I think), although the Sorong to Denpasar flight shows departure at 2:45 a.m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom