Raja Ampat dream trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you'll find a lot if you search - There are endless Raja threads on this form. Then adjust recommendations to your style and budget.

4-6 weeks is a lot of time. I've adopted the "homestay" mentality for its simplicity and authenticity (and the fact that my rupee goes much further :)). Some will not appreciate the lack hot showers , limited hours of electricity, and simple meals. Do your research on StayRajaAmpat for homestays. With that much time I'd do a liveaboard to Misool for sure - They will only run October to April-ish

Please note the standard Indonesia Visa is 30 days. I gather it is extendable to 60 days but I would have a good handle on the procedures etc (I think extension is often done in person, which could be logistically challenging ). I am definitely not an expert on this at all , just flagging the issue

If you want to spend all 4-6 weeks here, I’d suggest doing it land based across 2 resorts. I’ve done 3 liveaboards here and I like land based better. Quality of diving is better because you’re diving sites at the best tide times and conditions rather than what’s convenient for the liveaboards based on the direction and schedule of where they will be in that area. They can even pick sites to avoid meeting up with other liveaboards or resorts. Guides are much more familiar with the sites and you also go to some sites not visited by liveaboards at all. Lastly, you’re not as affected by less experienced divers or current-averse divers as on a liveaboard. That in turn can significantly affect the experience of a particular dive site. Resorts have multiple boats and groups that go out so there’s more flexibility.

If you can swing time between Misool and central near Dampier Strait that would be ultimate.

Please note the standard Indonesia Visa is 30 days. I gather it is extendable to 60 days but I would have a good handle on the procedures etc (I think extension is often done in person, which could be logistically challenging ). I am definitely not an expert on this at all , just flagging the issue

You can extend e-VOAs online but note some people often have issues with the Molina Imigrasi site. VOAs that you get at airports must be extended in person and it is a multi day affair and you may have to go up to 3 times. (Drop off, photo and fingerprint, pickup.) if you’re staying over 30 days, get a B211 for tourism. You can stay up to 60 days. You used to be able to extend them a few times but some people report not having that option now. B211 is an offshore visa so you can only apply for it while you’re not already in Indonesia. You can do it online or you can do it with a consulate. It should run just under $100 to about 130 USD. The higher end is the consulate.

The Molina website does have quite a few bugs and many people have issues with it so if you’re doing a digital extension, bake in a lot of extra time so you can have a backup plan for a visit to the immigration office. Overstaying your visa is penalized at $1M IDR per day.

Lastly, you’re not as affected by less experienced divers or current-averse divers as on a liveaboard.
Note that according to their profile, OP has less than 100 dives.

I was in a similar situation as OP (70 dives) when visiting Raja Ampat and was very glad to have done both - first resort and then liveaboard. The days at the resort helped a lot in getting acclimatized to diving in current.

If you've never been on a liveaboard I would highly recommend trying it out at least once. I've been lucky with the boat though - it was a very laid back and supportive group and a fantastic crew. I can imagine that with less nice guests, being the only inexperienced diver or pair of divers on a boat could lead to an awkward situation.

Wow thanks y'all for the great input so far!

I'm currently checking out availability and Kri Resort looks nice for a few weeks.

Misool area seems to have 2 3 options:
1. Stay at Misool Eco Resort which looks amazing, but is probably out of my budget
2. Book a liveaboard that stops in Misool area
3. EDIT: After some digging found this page

Note that according to their profile, OP has less than 100 dives.

I was in a similar situation as OP (70 dives) when visiting Raja Ampat and was very glad to have done both - first resort and then liveaboard. The days at the resort helped a lot in getting acclimatized to diving in current.

If you've never been on a liveaboard I would highly recommend trying it out at least once. I've been lucky with the boat though - it was a very laid back and supportive group and a fantastic crew. I can imagine that with less nice guests, being the only inexperienced diver or pair of divers on a boat could lead to an awkward situation.
Agreed, i remember thinking I knew what a drift dive was, as open water diver .. man i didnt know **** untill i got to indonesia , there are some very strong currents

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom