Fly Into Jakarta Or Bali For Raja Ampat Trips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is someone able to weigh in on how best to deal with baggage allowance. My wife and i will have two checked bags about 25kg and two carry ons which will have our regs computers. I dont want hassels at the airport in sorong not worried about any other leg than sorong to bali unfortunately we cnt make the garuda flight that leaves at 8:25 am so its lion and batik
If possible prepay for the additional weight over 20kg. If you do that check in is normally pretty simple.

Reactions: Dan
how do you pre pay
On LionAir website there's a prepaid luggage section,
Call back your booking with the PNR/name/flight #/date
In the addon part select additionnal luggage per weight.
Process your payment with your credit card (might not work for some).

Just bought 30kg more yesterday evening for a Manado-Sorong flight.

Then don't forget to print your new itinerary the additional luggage it will be display with the ancillaries.

how do you pre pay
Depends on how you bought your tickets. If through a travel agent they can add the charge, just tell them how many kilos over 20 you want to purchase. If you purchased from Lion Air directly you can add the baggage to the ticket on their web site. I typically use Nusa Trip and you can add the baggage charge to the ticket online. You might be able to go onto the Lion Air web site and add luggage to a ticket you bought elsewhere using the eticket number - I have not tried this so just speculating.

It is worth figuring this out. I believe that the charge when you check in is significantly more than buying in advance. Also in some airports it is a royal pain to buy the extra weight. You go to the check in counter, they weigh your bags and give you a ticket to take to another counter to pay for the luggage which may or may not take USD or a credit card. You then return to the original counter and finish checking in. (You don't have to wait in line again, but you will need to wait until they finish serving the person they are dealing with when you return.) Some check in agents can deal with taking the over charge at the counter, but not all or even most.

If you can't buy in advance it is not worth fussing over, lots of people travel with extra luggage so agents deal with it all the time. The first time is confusing if you don't know what is happening but otherwise it is not a problem. You will want to have IDR in cash to pay the over charge.

I believe that the charge when you check in is significantly more than buying in advance.
For example on a MDC SOQ leg its 31kIDR (2USD) per kg in advance, 44kIDR (about 3USD) per kg at check in.
But that's more the process of paying that is so tedious, you need to go at a specific booth usually away from the checkin counter, wait for someone to speak to you, it takes them 10 minutes to do the maths, then you must pay in IDR. Once you're done, get back to the check in counter, make your way to your luggage finally get your boarding cards.

For example on a MDC SOQ leg its 31kIDR (2USD) per kg in advance, 44kIDR (about 3USD) per kg at check in.
But that's more the process of paying that is so tedious, you need to go at a specific booth usually away from the checkin counter, wait for someone to speak to you, it takes them 10 minutes to do the maths, then you must pay in IDR. Once you're done, get back to the check in counter, make your way to your luggage finally get your boarding cards.
Thanks for the confirmation, I thought it was significantly more but was not sure. Wherever possible I pay in advance just to avoid the second counter and the wait. I am currently booking a trip to Alor and can't seem to find a way to pay the Wings Air baggage charge in advance leaving Alor for Kupang. The booking sites say to pay at the counter for luggage. Have not given up and have yet to book my flight, but the luggage charge at the counter last time I was there was more than the ticket! They weighed my carry on and my camera bag on the flight to Alor, total was 42kg. Did not on the way back. A lot of heavy bits in the carry on, batteries, regs, etc!

Thanx bought through travel agent. Will weigh bags and have them add to ticket plus a few extra kilos. Bali to usa is singapore buisness so no weight issues

Back
Top Bottom