flower gardens soon....couple questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i went ahead and ordered st. moritz dive watches for us at $69 each. didn't know there was a bottom timer so cheap. but i don't think we'll regret having the watches. we are current with our DAN insurance. are they restrictive about type of sunscreen you use out there? was planning on Bullfrog.

They are about as unrestrictive as possible. Lather away.

They do enforce the few dive restrictions they have. Other than that, no wetsuits inside, bathing suits hung in the captain's way may be reclaimed from the freezer, don't turn off the light in the head, and stay out of the galley. You can drive the boat if you want, but let them know first.

awap:
They are about as unrestrictive as possible. Lather away.

They do enforce the few dive restrictions they have. Other than that, no wetsuits inside, bathing suits hung in the captain's way may be reclaimed from the freezer, don't turn off the light in the head, and stay out of the galley. You can drive the boat if you want, but let them know first.

HE HE HE HE I want to drive the boat. Everyone still want to go?

Lukiedukie:
HE HE HE HE I want to drive the boat. Everyone still want to go?

Hmmmm... I dunno, Lukie- do you drive like you walk by scuba tanks? 'Cause I seem to remember that you aint too graceful 'bout that.
:14:

thanks everyone! keeps the tips coming......whoever else reads this thread in the next couple weeks!!

donnad:
thanks everyone! keeps the tips coming......whoever else reads this thread in the next couple weeks!!

I only alluded to it in my earlier posting, but I'd highly recommend taking some type of motion sickness medicine starting the night before you go, even if only as a purely precautionary measure. Even if you don't normally get motion sickness, you never know what kind of conditions will develop on the way to or from the sanctuary. Once the sea sickness starts, it doesn't stop until you get back to dry land, and by then, it's too late to take your medicine, because you can't keep it down long enough for it to get in your system and provide relief. I don't normally get sea sick, but a couple of years ago, the return back to Freeport was pure hell. Even captain Frank got sick on that trip.

BrianV:
Yeah it sounds like Nitrox is a must-have when going to the flower gardens. I haven't done it yet because everywhere I dive it isn't required. Either I'm diving too deep (110+ feet) or not very deep at all 40-70'. Nitrox isn't great for real deep, and it doesn't do much at shallower depths since NDL isn't a concern, even after multiple dives. The average depth of flower gardens are perfect for Nitrox though. It also sounds pretty reasonable, like $15 extra for the trip for Nitrox. That's a great deal because when you vacation dive you have to pay an ARM and a LEG for Nitrox.

I'll look around for a good deal on a Nitrox class, maybe one that doesn't require a dive.

Thanks for the advice.

Hey Brian,
I was at Tom's the other night checking out Nitrox courses...looks like they are a 4 hour course (one night), no lake dives requried. I'm gonna take it sometime before my Flower Garden trip in September.

Speaking of Flower Garden trips, I have been informed of an available spot (1) on the upcoming 10,11,12 July trip. PM me if you want more info and the contact store for this trip. Thanks,

yes, i'm already planning on starting the non-drowsy dramamine the night before, and you just keep taking it the whole trip, right?

donnad:
yes, i'm already planning on starting the non-drowsy dramamine the night before, and you just keep taking it the whole trip, right?

I suppose that depends on how susceptible you are to getting sea sickness. I normally don't have problems with it, i.e. it takes about 7 - 8 foot waves before it hits me, so I just take it as a precaution, and once I get out to the site and it looks fairly calm, I don't take any more pills. On the other hand, I've got a friend who gets sea sick on even just on a ride in a small boat to a dive site in Cozumel, so in his case, he'd have to keep taking Dramamine the whole trip. The main problem with going out to the Flower Gardens is that the conditions are so unpredictable. The surface could be as smooth as a glass one day, and a couple of days later, it could be so choppy that they will call the trip. It's well worth going out there, though. My buddies and I go every year, and I never get tired of it. This year, we're planning for August 10/11 on the Spree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom