flower gardens soon....couple questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianV:
Running out of air isn't a concern, but I heard everything there is at around 80' and if you're not diving Nitrox your BT at that depth becomes a concern.

My first trip out to the Gardens was before I was Nitrox certified, and indeed, during the 7th dive of the trip (2nd on Stetson), I had to start going shallower early due to the risk of entering decompression mode... I still had about 1200 psi in the tank, but my computer was telling me that I had only about 2 minutes of non-deco time left on the bottom. I simply went to the mooring line and started a rather prolonged ascent while watching the divers below me. Once I got to shallower depths, the computer's 'dive time left' indicator switched back to being tank pressure limited rather than non-deco limited, so I just hung out there on the line and hyper-extended my safety stop until it was time to go to the surface.

Since I'm now Nitrox certified, that's what I dive at the Flower Gardens, because it's really an ideal profile for enriched air, especially considering that you do 5 dives the first day. If you're not yet certified, I'd recommend considering getting a Nitrox cert before going out to the Gardens. The added safety margin alone is worth it, IMHO.

Yeah it sounds like Nitrox is a must-have when going to the flower gardens. I haven't done it yet because everywhere I dive it isn't required. Either I'm diving too deep (110+ feet) or not very deep at all 40-70'. Nitrox isn't great for real deep, and it doesn't do much at shallower depths since NDL isn't a concern, even after multiple dives. The average depth of flower gardens are perfect for Nitrox though. It also sounds pretty reasonable, like $15 extra for the trip for Nitrox. That's a great deal because when you vacation dive you have to pay an ARM and a LEG for Nitrox.

I'll look around for a good deal on a Nitrox class, maybe one that doesn't require a dive.

Thanks for the advice.

The Spree and Fling typically charge $65 extra for Nitrox on a 2-night trip.

BrianV:
Nitrox isn't great for real deep, and it doesn't do much at shallower depths since NDL isn't a concern, even after multiple dives. The average depth of flower gardens are perfect for Nitrox though.

Well, max depth for 32% nitrox is about 132 feet, so really, that's pretty much at the limit of recreational diving anyway, and consequently you can dive just about anywhere on it, if you're willing to shell out the extra $$$ for the fills.

It also sounds pretty reasonable, like $15 extra for the trip for Nitrox. That's a great deal because when you vacation dive you have to pay an ARM and a LEG for Nitrox.

That's true most of the time, unless you go to Bonaire, where most operators seem to throw the Nitrox in for free, which is fantastic, considering how much diving you can get in while on the island. As far as Gulf Diving goes, the Nitrox charge is actually $65 for the 2 day trip as previous poster already pointed out, but they provide the tank so you don't have to rent one or drag your own out there.

Hola to all, wow this thread has gone walk about.

Finding depth at Flower Gardens is not that hard.
I pulled 110ft on my first dive and peering over a coral head you could feel cross currents and a thermolcline. Maps are available- just ask. Divemasters will advise of mooring buoys.

Depending on the divers saying 132ft is an acceptable depth is not for everyone.
Most divers accept a working range of 1.2 to 1.4 PPo2. Decompression is 1.5 to 1.6 at a limited exposure time and limited working rate.

Saying that 1.4% is 110ft on 32EANx.
132ft is basically 1.6 and that is a max exposure of 45 for total time.
Not everyone is ‘good to go’ at high oxygen exposure rates. :confused:

I definitely suggest making multi-level profiles.
Nitrox provides lots of benefits and that’s the way to go for me.
However, divers must know the pros and cons.

For those interested in deeper depths, mixed gas (technical) and decompression there are technical trips that run on the Spree and Fling.
What a better way to get in those Trimix dives…:D

Breathing gas gets expensive at Trimix $150.00 to $200.00 for a single dive.
These are commercial rates not home brew vodoo :light: .
Later, Andrew

BrianV:
Is it true that if you enter deco dive profile once you're done for the trip, or is it done for the day?

Dude, are you kidding?! My computer is so conservative, i'd be done for the trip in no time! :)

On a side note -- recently there was a discussion about the Flower Garden trips and the maximum tank size that they would fill. I cant remember the answer and searches have been unable to find the thread. Anyone remember that and can provide the answer or a pointer?

Thanks,

Willie

c_figaro:
Dude, are you kidding?! My computer is so conservative, i'd be done for the trip in no time! :)

I don't make these rules up but I've heard this from like 5 different people (and these are local people I personally know), that on top of the people saying it here leads me to believe it's true.

I guess you could lie, but if it's too obvious you'll ruin your $400+ trip.

Like previously said, sounds like Nitrox is a no brainer and almost a must-have. That said, how many people here regularly dive to gardens on regular air? What are your thoughts?

The Gardens are a lot of fun. The downside is you can't pop by the LDS if something craps out. So I bring backup everything that fits into my bag. If I don't need it, somebody else might. Think Murphy!

FWIW I would spring the $20 at Wally's for a bottom timer. Mine's an Armatron rated for 660', complete with backlight and stopwatch. (plus real big numbers)

Y'all are gonna have a blast!

P.S. Be sure to get your DAN membership

Back
Top Bottom